Anyone quite knowledgeable how twitter works?

I had a twitter account that I used to use just for browsing the site.

I never actually "followed" anyone or any specific topic. However, twitter inundated me with emails about people who I had absolutely no interest in whatsoever.

Is that how it is supposed to work, or was there a way to set things up differently?

Thanks.

That's how it's supposed to work..

Generally, it will email you with suggestions of people that people you have followed also follow and converse with, or people that have several 'common' followers etc... (there's more to it than just that though)

if you haven't followed anyone, it generally shows you popular people, or people who are trending etc...

You can however, turn off these suggestions, and the emails related to them (scroll to the bottom of the email and click "unsubscribe")

Ok Ghozer thanks. I'll have a go at doing that and get back to you if I encounter any problems.

Edit: Just thought of something else Ghozer. Am I right in thinking that you don't have to use your name on there?

*For example you could use # and a word, topic or interest etc?

Edited by Janus
More info

I had a twitter account that I used to use just for browsing the site.

I never actually "followed" anyone or any specific topic. However, twitter inundated me with emails about people who I had absolutely no interest in whatsoever.

Is that how it is supposed to work, or was there a way to set things up differently?

Thanks.

Follow Galatic Keegan. Just do that, twitter is worth that alone.

It's good for sports and weather updates as well.

Ok Ghozer thanks. I'll have a go at doing that and get back to you if I encounter any problems.

Edit: Just thought of something else Ghozer. Am I right in thinking that you don't have to use your name on there?

*For example you could use # and a word, topic or interest etc?

If you create a twitter account, you have a "handle" then (like your nickname on here, but it's still 'linked' to your real name, as that's required when registering)

when someone wants to include you in a tweet, they would use @YOURHANDLE the hash tags are 'key words'.. like you could tweet about something to do with football, you could use "the #football today was great" or something, then the word "#football" is clickable, and then any other tweets (from anyone) with the tag "#football" will show..

This is how words and things "trend" if everyone is talking about a certain subject, and there's lots of people tagging it with the "hashtag" then it's a trending topic (the top 10 usually shows on the left side of twitter when logged in)

Just remember, @'s are people #'s are subjects/tags/topics...