Griddle pan or grill?

I’ve been looking at buying a griddle pan for a while but wonder whether it is worth it or whether I should just continue using the grill in the oven.

There seem to be so many different options out there and the cast iron ones (which seem to be recommended over the aluminium ones) sound like a bit of a pain to keep clean and rust free etc. Also I’ve heard they are very heavy.

Does anyone have a griddle pan and is it worth it over using a standard grill?

I've got one of those cast-iron griddle pans and yes, they are indeed very heavy and a right pain to keep rust-free. I don't use it very often, but I must admit that a good, heavy griddle pan with sharp, deep ridges, does tend to give the food a bit more flavour than you get from just plain grilling it. It also gives the food an attractive appearance, because you get those nice, black griddle lines across whatever food you're cooking - like pan fried salmon, chicken breasts, halloumi cheese, flatbreads etc. I tend to use mine more when I'm cooking for guests and want to show off a bit.

I have one of those heavy griddles, it covers two cooker rings. If you season it you won't get rust. I wiped mine with high temperature cooking oil and switched it one, let it burn off. It smokes a lot so open windows and put cooker extractor on. If you wash it quickly rather than leaving it in water the seasoning stays on. Its like a black coating that forms.

Here is a youtube clip on how t do it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=seasoning+a+pan+with+oil&qpvt=seasoning+a+pan+with+oil&view=detail&mid=CF90AB0C7F2A7971F079CF90AB0C7F2A7971F079&&FORM=VRDGAR