Blue John Stone

Other than Castleton, is there any shop in Sheffield selling it? Heard that it is very famous locally.

I never seen it outside of Castleton I don't think. There are some great jewellers there though, can you not find what you want?

I used to buy Blue John stone products as presents from the Derbyshire Craft Shop, located near Calver bridge. They also have scrumptious cakes in the cafe!

Not aware of anywhere in Sheffield that sells Blue John though.

I think there are a couple of Jewellers in bakewell which sell it , theres one just up a side street between the rounderbout and the traffic lights on theright(heading to matlock)which I beleive I've seen it in it has some lovely semi-precious-stone jewelry and is a very reasonably priced ,then there's another more expensive one pretty much on the rounderbout. and perhaps the stone shop in Tideswell has it ( but odd opening times).

I bought some blue john cufflinks from a jewelers (actually I think they are a pawn brokers) in Chesterfield, in the indoor "shopping centre". You're only likely to find second hand stuff outside Castleton.

I don't know Sheffield very well, do you mind telling me where is bakewell and Calver bridge? How can I get there from west street or city center?

Originally posted by BBBB

I don't know Sheffield very well, do you mind telling me where is bakewell and Calver bridge? How can I get there from west street or city center?

They are not parts of Sheffield they are other towns, in Derbyshire.

I know that Louise Forysth Contemporary Jewellery create jewellery for people on request as well as her own range.

I spoke to her recently and she was talking about Blue John at the time, could be worth contacting her and asking she may be able to make you something quite unique and interesting with it.

I've seen her work and it's spot on!:thumbsup:

Does the 264 bus go to Castleton? That's probably your best bet, but there is the chance you could be paying tourist prices.

Thanks for the PM Lalaland.

Louise Forsyth is my girlfriend (as in the Jewellery link Lalaland posted above and then kindly PM'd me). I made a post recently about her services and she's doing very well with all this.

I did see her looking at the blue john last time we were in Castleton and I'm sure she'd be happy to create something with Bluejohn if you are interested.

You can either contact her via the website or PM me and I can help out.:)

The 272 is the most regular bus service to Castleton, it goes every hour in the daytime, from the bus station then up Ecclesall Rd, but it doesn't stop at every stop, so make sure it's listed at the stop, or it will go straight past you, however much you try and flag it down( very irritating!).There does seem to be quite a few pieces of Blue John Jewellry on Ebay, I'm not sure if that comes direct from a castleton gift shop.