Where do you stand on taking a knee?

I admire Colin Kaepernick and those who have joined him in the 'taking a knee' protests against police brutality in the US.

Far from being 'sons of bitches' as Mr Trump has referred to them, I think their actions are both brave and honourable.

What's your view?

“ where do you stand on taking a knee” ?

Have you ever considered stand up comedy, on one knee ? Where do you stand on that ?

I admire Colin Kaepernick and those who have joined him in the 'taking a knee' protests against police brutality in the US.

Far from being 'sons of bitches' as Mr Trump has referred to them, I think their actions are both brave and honourable.

What's your view?

From what little I know, I approve. Americas supposed to be a land of 'free speech'.

In reality, it only approves of certain types of 'free speech'.

It's supposed to be a land of equality. It's not.

Free speech concerning the ongoing lack of social opportunities for low income black people is strictly limited to the areas that the establishment approves of.

Unfortunately, debate of only those areas/topics doesn't, and won't, lead to solutions of the actual problems.

Taking the knee very much raises awareness of those issues. It's also non-violent.

From what little I know, I approve. Americas supposed to be a land of 'free speech'.

In reality, it only approves of certain types of 'free speech'.

It's supposed to be a land of equality. It's not.

Free speech concerning the ongoing lack of social opportunities for low income black people is strictly limited to the areas that the establishment approves of.

Unfortunately, debate of only those areas/topics doesn't, and won't, lead to solutions of the actual problems.

Taking the knee very much raises awareness of those issues. It's also non-violent.

regarding your main points --is this country so much different?

What's your view?

I never heard of this until a month back ..kept thinking they were saying "takin' an E"

'Bending the knee' means something completely different in these Isles

What's your view?

Well, it had to happen once I suppose, I agree with halibut. Part of being a democracy is the right to protest. He's doing it peacefully, he's not burning a flag or blocking up traffic or destroying property or anything like that. He's doing it quite subtly but equally powerfully trying to raise a point and he and his fellow sportsmen and women are doing a great job.

Trump really, really isn't.

regarding your main points --is this country so much different?

I think this Country is very different. In the States their Country AND Flag mean a great deal to them, in fact most folks revere their Flag.

Back in Blighty if you were to fly the flag, no doubt you would be accused of some kind of offence for doing so. Been a racist undoubtedly would be one of them.

Angel1.

I think this Country is very different. In the States their Country AND Flag mean a great deal to them, in fact most folks revere their Flag.

Back in Blighty if you were to fly the flag, no doubt you would be accused of some kind of offence for doing so. Been a racist undoubtedly would be one of them.

Angel1.

You hit the nail firmly on the head. In North American sports, and that includes Canada the National anthems are played before every sporting event on the calendar, pro or not, and the National flag is the focus of that ritual. The big fuss is because these guys( there are a few now)are deemed to have disrespected their National flag. It is not just pro Trump people who are up in arms it is a large majority including many Canadians who can't even stand Trump.Personally, I don't really care too much, but I understand what the fuss is about having lived and worked among these people for 36 years. Put it this way an awful lot of Trump haters strongly disagree with the actions of these protesters, and agree with his stance on this matter.

I can remember when nearly all public performances were started or ended with the playing of the National Anthem. My memories included cinemas and theatres. Not sure about football matches, but I have a feeling it may have been the same.

You were expected to stand, but within my memories I'd see more and more people not bothering until it seemed to not happen anymore.

Anyone remember Roy Hodgson trying to get England players to sing the anthem. Some of them just stared straight at the ground.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5429752

Thinking back, Gary Nevile was alleged to be an English republican who also didn't believe in god and many people thought that was the reason he never sung the anthem.

---------- Post added 21-10-2017 at 18:29 ----------

I can remember when nearly all public performances were started or ended with the playing of the National Anthem. My memories included cinemas and theatres. Not sure about football matches, but I have a feeling it may have been the same.

You were expected to stand, but within my memories I'd see more and more people not bothering until it seemed to not happen anymore.

It used to be played every night at shutdown on BBC TV, usually about midnight.

Unthinkable now of course.