I can't stand 'passed away'.

I'm not keen on euphemisms in general, but I especially loathe the term 'passed away'. No, they didn't 'pass away', they died. They're dead.

My late father didn't 'pass away'. He died. He's dead.

If we can't even use the right words, how can we ever come to terms with some of the complex issues and feelings around death?

He's not late, he's dead.

Fair point. I do refer to the shirt of his that I still ware as my 'dead dad shirt'.

Sounds like you have some grief that you need to work through.

(Genuine statement, not a dig Halibut)

'dead dad shirt'.

Seems like you're trying to cover up your grief with humor.

There's also "passed on" and "passed over", terms which Christians and spiritists (and possibly muslims) use which pertain to their belief in the afterlife.

Terms that if you don't like, you don't have to use.

Terms that if others wish to use, they are free to use.

No real problem.

Sounds like you have some grief that you need to work through.

(Genuine statement, not a dig Halibut)

Seems like you're trying to cover up your grief with humor.

I'm not grieving anymore - but thanks for your concern. I'm Ok with it. My dad was a truly good man. Thinking about him now isn't painful - it's a feeling of warmth and gratitude.

Maybe there is some humour, but perhaps just because it's healthy rather than to cover anything up. The last thing I know that made my dad smile before he died - it was a liver problem, so his skin was very yellow - was whan my brother said 'You look like Grandpa Simpson'. A very short while later he lost consciousness and a few hours after that he died.

I feel pretty lucky really.

I'm not keen on euphemisms in general, but I especially loathe the term 'passed away'. No, they didn't 'pass away', they died. They're dead.

If we can't even use the right words, how can we ever come to terms with some of the complex issues and feelings around death?

Better than He"s snuffed it.

...............seems I am not the only one who hates the phrase 'passed away'

It’s a couple of words. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

You’re the real “ angry of Orpington “ aren’t you ?

---------- Post added 20-10-2017 at 21:08 ----------

I'm not grieving anymore - but thanks for your concern. I'm Ok with it. My dad was a truly good man. Thinking about him now isn't painful - it's a feeling of warmth and gratitude.

Maybe there is some humour, but perhaps just because it's healthy rather than to cover anything up. The last thing I know that made my dad smile before he died - it was a liver problem, so his skin was very yellow - was whan my brother said 'You look like Grandpa Simpson'. A very short while later he lost consciousness and a few hours after that he died.

I feel pretty lucky really.

Oh and thanks for sharing

Better than He"s snuffed it.

Or Kippered it.

Or Kippered it.

Or shook a seven,or kicked the bucket.