Rental property whose insurance for leaking boiler

Hi I currently rent a property, returned home from holiday and the boiler has a leak ruining the stairs carpet. Whose insurance do I claim off. I thought it would have been my landlord but he states I should claim off mine, but if I do that my premium will go up next year! Advice please ASAP. Thank you

Landlords usually cover the building and tenants the contents.

I am presuming the landlord is fixing the boiler so you will be wanting money for destroyed contents thus I think the landlord is correct.

---------- Post added 11-10-2017 at 08:39 ----------

After re reading your post I would suggest the landlord is liable for replacing the stairs carpet.

Landlord should be sorting it out, his boiler and his carpet.

It's starting to get cold so get onto them and make sure they have it sorted in the next few days.

Landlord should be sorting it out, his boiler and his carpet.

It's starting to get cold so get onto them and make sure they have it sorted in the next few days.

I garee its the landlords boiler. Is it his carpet though? If its the landlords carpet I agree with your comments. I know people who rent unfurnished property and so its their own carpet.

I've rented unfurnished places before but never gone to the length of putting my own carpet in one.

If the carpet was knackered I'd ask it gets replaced, sodding rent is expensive enough.

Granted a council tenant would probably do that, but not a private tenant.

Edited by geared

I've rented unfurnished places before but never gone to the length of putting my own carpet in one.

If the carpet was knackered I'd ask it gets replaced, sodding rent is expensive enough.

Granted a council tenant would probably do that, but not a private tenant.

I agree but it depends on the rental contract. Its not the tenants fault the leak has occurred and damaged the carpet anyway is it?

Carpet is part of the house and is the landlords responsibility unless you have a particularly odd tenancy agreement. And unless you put your own carpet in - that may be a more tricky scenario but lets assume you didn't.

Edited by TimmyR

Its not the tenants fault the leak has occurred and damaged the carpet anyway is it?

This is entirely correct in terms of fairness. But if other Contents that were definitely owned by the Tenants were destroyed or damaged as a result of something like a boiler breakdown, or a leaking roof etc., then they would need to claim off their own Contents Insurance. Just because a property is rented does not mean that it somehow then exists inside a nebulous bubble of immunity.

This is entirely correct in terms of fairness. But if other Contents that were definitely owned by the Tenants were destroyed or damaged as a result of something like a boiler breakdown, or a leaking roof etc., then they would need to claim off their own Contents Insurance. Just because a property is rented does not mean that it somehow then exists inside a nebulous bubble of immunity.

I am aware of such scenarios. It wouldn't stop me charging the landlord for damage if it happened to me, the op could try that too. See my experience below.

We have a holiday home abroad in a low rise block. The apartment above had a leak in winter and water came down into our apartment damaging the paintwork on the walls and the floors in the master bedroom and kitchen/lounge/diner. It was repaired by the insurance of the owners above without having to get our insurance involved. We own the apartment, it wasn't rented. We were notified but didn't have to get our insurance to pay. The point I'm making is it wasn't the ops fault same as it wasn't our fault the leak occurred.

Yes. It wouldn't stop anyone from trying anything. If the Tenant persisted in such a case, where their property had been damaged and they refused to claim on their own Contents Insurance, or they had opted not to get cover, then they'd shortly need to search for a new home.

Your story is just not pertinent to this situation... even in a different country, so your point is not a point.

Yes. It wouldn't stop anyone from trying anything. If the Tenant persisted in such a case, where their property had been damaged and they refused to claim on their own Contents Insurance, or they had opted not to get cover, then they'd shortly need to search for a new home.

Your story is just not pertinent to this situation... even in a different country, so your point is not a point.

Its an English insurance company working for English customers so its very relevant. Its one persons incident / accident affecting another persons property. How can that not be relevant? I know you like to argue black is white.............

A landlord can't just evict someone willy nilly.

A landlord can't just evict someone willy nilly.

Please don't be completely naïve.