John Lewis Goes Gender- Neutral

So, now John Lewis own brand children's clothes are no longer labelled for boy's, and labelled for girls, they are now labelled for boys AND girls.

Is this madness, or is it quite sensible to cater for a tiny minority.

I go down the madness route.

Angel1.

So, now John Lewis own brand children's clothes are no longer labelled for boy's, and labelled for girls, they are now labelled for boys AND girls.

Angel1.

Do you mean that a school dress for instance has a "boys and girls" logo on it?

Do you mean that a school dress for instance has a "boys and girls" logo on it?

School uniform is excluded for now, but plans to be changed in the near future. I think JL is completely right in this decision. The idea that girls wear one thing and boys another is ridiculous. What is wrong with a boy wearing a dress if he wants and a girl wearing a dinosaur hoodie?

School uniform is excluded for now, but plans to be changed in the near future. I think JL is completely right in this decision. The idea that girls wear one thing and boys another is ridiculous. What is wrong with a boy wearing a dress if he wants and a girl wearing a dinosaur hoodie?

Its certainly true that hundreds/thousands of years ago in certain cultures men had their hair longer and wore what you might call "skirts", such as togas, chitons and kilts etc. But that's not the same as encouraging, or at least not discouraging, boys to wear something that is clearly marketed at girls with its feminine design.

As it happens I have a 7 year old daughter who rarely wears anything or plays with anything "girly".

Edited by Guest

Correct. Of course, the idea of school uniforms itself is archaic, but that is another discussion.

Far from being "pandering to a minority" - this is just changing the labels and lumping all the jumpers together, all the trousers together etc. Children and their parents can still choose whichever clothing they want, it's a complete non-issue.

Far from being "pandering to a minority" - this is just changing the labels and lumping all the jumpers together, all the trousers together etc. Children and their parents can still choose whichever clothing they want, it's a complete non-issue.

So why have they bothered then? of course parents can and will choose what they want.

John Lewis are pushing an agenda.

I wouldn't have a problem with the return of the fashion for Toga type clothing for men and boys, but If a dress, which has obvious feminine styling has a label on it which says "boys and girls", that in my view is an insidious way of feminising boys.

Edited by Guest

Angel1.

They most likely will do very well with the range in this mad modern World.

---------- Post added 04-09-2017 at 09:30 ----------

What is wrong with a boy wearing a dress if he wants and a girl wearing a dinosaur hoodie?

You can't be serious. Any parent allowing a boy to wear a dress, should be charged with child abuse IMHO.

My mom's boyfriend sometimes wears woman's clothing when it gets hot in summer, he says it is far better then traditional men's. And he don't care what other people think of it.

My mom's boyfriend sometimes wears woman's clothing when it gets hot in summer, he says it is far better then traditional men's. And he don't care what other people think of it.

I presume your Mom's boyfriend is an adult. A grown man wearing a dress is not the same as a confused young boy wearing a dress.

So why have they bothered then? of course parents can and will choose what they want.

John Lewis are pushing an agenda.

I wouldn't have a problem with the return of the fashion for Toga type clothing for men and boys, but If a dress, which has obvious feminine styling has a label on it which says "boys and girls", that in my view is an insidious way of feminising boys.

But they are only feminine cos you're conditioned to think so

But they are only feminine cos you're conditioned to think so

Indeed, and I'm just struggling to see what's really wrong with that to be honest.

Its millennials with nothing better to do, trying to find solutions to non existent problems.

Edited by Guest