Box set and binge viewing megathread.

Home > General > Entertainment Chat

Reply To Topic

03-05-2016, 00:13   #21
tinfoilhat

Total Posts: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-red View Post
Ive just watched the first 4 episodes of Penny Dreadful.
Dont really know why I didnt watch it when it first started, its exactly my kind of thing
The first series was superb, but I thought series two took a big dip, both in terms of story and particularly production values. I found the latter more disappointing because of the such high standards (I thought anyway) in the first series. Yokels in West Country pubs drinking out of straight 1980s lager glasses (and drinking lager too!) and the two main leads looking like they'd drifted in from a river island photo shoot rather than Victorian London? I hoping for better things in series 3.

Up your game penny dreadful prop and wardrobe depts!
_______
We get the world we deserve.
03-05-2016, 00:19   #22
Solomon1

Total Posts: 13,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilhat View Post
What are you watching?
Orphan Black
03-05-2016, 00:24   #23
tinfoilhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon1 View Post
Orphan Black
Yeah and latest series has gone off to chuffing Netflix.
_______
03-05-2016, 00:45   #24
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 36,085
Quote:
Oh smashing! We watched the first 3 seasons of that too.

Oh- and my OH also was given a copy of Narcos. Great but you do need to be able to read small subtitles which move quite quickly.

And we gave up during season 2 of Penny Dreadful. I just couldn't be bothered any more with a storyline that got more and more contrived. The same applies to Sleepy Hollow.
_______
'Turn you inside out and lick you like a crisp packet.'
07-05-2016, 15:31   #25
Hecate

Total Posts: 24,070
I've been revisting Person of Interest on Netflix. The first two and a half seasons were so good. The Crossing and The Devil's Share, from season 3, are simply superb. Alas, the introduction of the indescribably irritating Root as a major character, coupled with the
Spoiler
killing off of Joss
made it unwatchable.

The first five seasons of The Mentalist are excellent too. Watch season 6 to find out the identity of Red John (in a series of episodes that felt oddly rushed and tacked on as an afterthought, as if they realised that they'd better resolve the storyline before the series got cancelled). You can skip the short seventh season, as it all gets a bit rom-com (the original production team and some of the writers had left to focus on Gotham, I believe).
_______
'Tis the time’s plague when madmen lead the blind.
07-05-2016, 16:30   #26
Funky_Gibbon

Total Posts: 4,633
Quote:
After the way the BBC treated the previous season it doesn't surprise me at all.
_______
"Psycho Dad. Now with less violence but more kinky sex and nudity for a cleaner, safer America."
08-05-2016, 18:26   #27
JenC
Gone Troppo

Total Posts: 2,983
An oldie, but House, which I dismissed for so long as just a medical drama. Incredibly well written, well acted; just brilliant. Currently at series 5.
13-05-2016, 11:10   #28
DnAuK

Total Posts: 1,426
Dexter - Season 4. The one with John Lithgow as the Trinity killer.

I used to let these pile up on my Sky+ box. Sat down one evening to watch a couple of episodes. Couldn't stop till I'd seen the last one. Was 2am by that time and had to be up at 6 for work. But it was that good.
_______
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then you will lose on experience.
13-05-2016, 13:32   #29
whiteowl

Total Posts: 1,161
I'm fairly hooked on the original NCIS - now just finishing it's 13th season. Started watching it about 3 years ago and had 10 seasons to get though at the time. Was a bit square eyed by the end of catching up
19-05-2016, 17:14   #30
tinfoilhat

I forgot to mention Hannibal - lavish,arty almost to the point of self indulgence, but well written and beautifully shot. Sound dept need a slap though. Well worth a look.
_______
30-05-2016, 11:33   #31
Hecate

I was wrong about Gotham. I've persevered beyond the pilot and first couple of episodes - which were rather slow - and binged on a good chunk of the series. It's fabulous: intriguing story-telling, excellent acting (Penguin and Nygma are superb), beautifully shot and lit, and with fantastic attention to detail. New York, dressed as the city of Gotham, is darkly gorgeous.

I suspect DC fanboys might not share my high regard - I understand some liberties have been taken with the source material - but anyone willing to remove their sticks should find Gotham worthy of attention.

In similar territory, I thought that both The Flash and Agents of Shield suffered a significant drop in quality after their first and second seasons respectively. The latter became hilariously po-faced with the introduction of the transforming maguffin whatnot and Skye et als' subsequent transformation. The Flash, meanwhile, which had been consistently excellent throughout its first season, and which ended on a brilliant cliffhanger, clanged back to earth early in season 2 when established characters began to behave bizarrely out of character to further the development of the storyline. Disappointing, particularly for The Flash.
_______
30-05-2016, 12:34   #32
Danny_Boy

Total Posts: 2,177
Currently watching:

Bones
Fringe
House
GoT
Billions
True detective (for the 3rd time)
Limitless.

On the list to watch:

Start GoT again when s6 finishes.
Better call Saul.
House of Cards.
Homeland.
Luther.

Already watched but imo must see in order of brilliance:

1, Sopranos.
2, The Wire.
3, 24.
4, The affair.
5, maybe not the most popular but I really enjoyed Entourage or you like a bit of lighted hearted easy to watch fun.
_______
Financial Advisor. Re-mortgages, Help to buy schemes, help to buy ISA's, insurances & bereavement planning.
30-05-2016, 17:07   #33
Funky_Gibbon

Binge viewing Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People.

Superb.
_______
"Psycho Dad. Now with less violence but more kinky sex and nudity for a cleaner, safer America."
30-05-2016, 17:18   #34
tinfoilhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I was wrong about Gotham. I've persevered beyond the pilot and first couple of episodes - which were rather slow - and binged on a good chunk of the series. It's fabulous: intriguing story-telling, excellent acting (Penguin and Nygma are superb), beautifully shot and lit, and with fantastic attention to detail. New York, dressed as the city of Gotham, is darkly gorgeous.

I suspect DC fanboys might not share my high regard - I understand some liberties have been taken with the source material - but anyone willing to remove their sticks should find Gotham worthy of attention.

In similar territory, I thought that both The Flash and Agents of Shield suffered a significant drop in quality after their first and second seasons respectively. The latter became hilariously po-faced with the introduction of the transforming maguffin whatnot and Skye et als' subsequent transformation. The Flash, meanwhile, which had been consistently excellent throughout its first season, and which ended on a brilliant cliffhanger, clanged back to earth early in season 2 when established characters began to behave bizarrely out of character to further the development of the storyline. Disappointing, particularly for The Flash.
Gotham for me peaked midway through series 2. The continuing, blatantly obvious presence of Theo galavan became more than I could stand which is shame because up to then it was solid.
_______
30-05-2016, 18:06   #35
Detetcive

Total Posts: 673
Bingeing on Bloodline on Netflix at the moment - first season superb - just watched ep one of season two - will see ....but highly recommend the first season.
04-06-2016, 20:15   #36
Funky_Gibbon

Just finished watching the first season of Spartacus for the first time since it was broadcast. Great fun and hugely underrated.
_______
07-06-2016, 21:01   #37
pintsized

Total Posts: 277
Breaking Bad
Scandal
American Horror Story
Making a Murderer
Parks and Recreation
_______
Always be able to look back and say at least I didn't lead no humdrum life
10-06-2016, 18:34   #38
Hecate

For future binge viewing: Stranger Things. All episodes on Netflix on July 15th. Really looking forward to this. Great to see Winona Ryder again too.
_______
10-06-2016, 22:59   #39
Snowglobe

Total Posts: 149
I stumbled across a Blacklist episode and then had to watch the lot from the beginning.

I'm nearly 2 series down now.
_______
Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real
15-07-2016, 20:29   #40
Hecate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
For future binge viewing: Stranger Things. All episodes on Netflix on July 15th. Really looking forward to this. Great to see Winona Ryder again too.
I watched a wee bit of this while eating my dinner, and it looks fantastic! Stephen King meets Steven Spielberg in 1983. Proper old-school jumps and scares. I'm looking forward to doing a hefty chunk of binge watching over the weekend.

Beware, anyone who grew up watching Beetlejuice and Heathers: you're going to feel very old indeed.
_______
Reply To Topic