Sheffield Forum

Box set and binge viewing megathread.

Home > General > Entertainment Chat

Reply To Topic

28-04-2016, 20:37   #1
tinfoilhat

Total Posts: 13,658
You remember the old days when you had to be sat down ready for the programme to start? Then wait until next week to watch the next episode?

Old news.

So what box sets are getting your attention? Any old-but-gold ones or new shows you can guzzle down in one sitting?

I'm doing Lost which completely and utterly passed me by first time round. I'm rather enjoying it. I might do The Tunnel - Sabotage as that's available in one hit but it might be a bit heavy going given the subject matter.

What are you watching?
_______
We get the world we deserve.
28-04-2016, 21:33   #2
web1

Total Posts: 4,188
Sopranos, had it on vhs as a box set still a quality program.
_______
KEEP ON KEEPING ON.
28-04-2016, 22:06   #3
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 36,085
I think we've run out of things to watch like that, if I'm honest. We've watched the Sopranos, and The Wire, and The Shield, and Eureka, and Damages and a whole load of others, but there's been nothing worth buying for ages.
_______
'Turn you inside out and lick you like a crisp packet.'
28-04-2016, 22:09   #4
Funky_Gibbon

Total Posts: 4,633
I recently binged the third season of Treasure Island prequel 'Black Sails' over a couple of days. Season one was ok but two and three are so much better.

tinfoilhat, I've watched the first three episodes of The Tunnel : Sabotage and it's definitely worth it so far. Enjoying it far more than I did the first season.

---------- Post added 28-04-2016 at 22:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa View Post
I think we've run out of things to watch like that, if I'm honest. We've watched the Sopranos, and The Wire, and The Shield, and Eureka, and Damages and a whole load of others, but there's been nothing worth buying for ages.
Have you tried Justified?
_______
"Psycho Dad. Now with less violence but more kinky sex and nudity for a cleaner, safer America."
28-04-2016, 22:13   #5
JFKvsNixon
Kissinger-esque

Total Posts: 21,629
I've just finished watching all the original X-Files series on Amazon Prime, all 200 odd episodes. To be honest, I'm at a bit of a loose end in the evenings now.
_______
Doing things we hate is the price we pay to avoid loneliness.
28-04-2016, 22:22   #6
tinfoilhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFKvsNixon View Post
I've just finished watching all the original X-Files series on Amazon Prime, all 200 odd episodes. To be honest, I'm at a bit of a loose end in the evenings now.
I was chiselling away at those on spike - they're filling up my HDD big time. Still a good watch.

Oh and I did Firefly over Easter. I know it has some frankly fanatical support but it was great TV show - brought into sharp focus by finishing Killjoys on Syfy at around the same time which I thought had some interesting parallels.

---------- Post added 28-04-2016 at 22:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Gibbon View Post
I recently binged the third season of Treasure Island prequel 'Black Sails' over a couple of days. Season one was ok but two and three are so much better.

tinfoilhat, I've watched the first three episodes of The Tunnel : Sabotage and it's definitely worth it so far. Enjoying it far more than I did the first season.

I was quite the fan of the first series of the tunnel.

Tried justified - not bad actually, it somehow slid out the planner and never made it back in.
_______
28-04-2016, 22:35   #7
top4718

Total Posts: 9,375
I've just watched to first two series of Auf Weidersehen Pet and whilst its not quite as good as you remember it its still a good series, series 1 in Germany drags a bit towards the end but it has some memorable characters.

Gonna re-watch Boys From The Blackstuff next.
28-04-2016, 22:41   #8
melthebell
*gets coat*

Total Posts: 54,581
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa View Post
walking dead
game of thrones
black sails
vikings
banshee

?
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
28-04-2016, 22:53   #9
tinfoilhat

If you haven't watched it, park your brain, ignore the wobbly sets and give Buffy the Vampire Slayer a go. It's good fun.

American Horror Story is quality TV - quite box-setable too as each series is self contained.
_______
28-04-2016, 22:55   #10
Hecate

Total Posts: 24,070
I watched the TV remake of Scream on Netflix last week and thoroughly enjoyed all ten episodes. I did the same with Mr Robot a little while back. I'm still plugging away at catching up with Supernatural, though the latter seasons are trying my loyalty. My big guilty pleasure is Pretty Little Liars .

I've discovered all sorts of stuff on DVD and streaming services thanks to Amazon recommendations and such like. My shelves groan under the weight of DVD box sets, though I mostly stream these days and buy the hard copies of the stuff I really love. The X-Files on blu-ray was a fabulous Christmas present last year, though this year's effort might not make it into its empty slot in the box.
_______
'Tis the time’s plague when madmen lead the blind.
28-04-2016, 22:59   #11
tinfoilhat

I'm giving consideration to unlocking my wallet and giving Netflix a go.

Oh, warehouse 13, certainly if you like the current series of the librarians - the episodes are nearly interchangeable
_______
28-04-2016, 23:14   #12
Hecate

Total Posts: 24,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilhat View Post

Oh, warehouse 13, certainly if you like the current series of the librarians - the episodes are nearly interchangeable
Warehouse 13 was another one I discovered on DVD. The first two or three seasons are great - the HG Wells arc especially, though they did give her story a rather duff conclusion. It got a bit silly towards the end, alas, with staggering amounts of glaring product placement (entire conversations about the fabulousness of the Prius, for example), and I never did finish it.
_______
'Tis the time’s plague when madmen lead the blind.
28-04-2016, 23:45   #13
TORONTONY
Account Closed

Total Posts: 1,756
Fawlty Towers does it for me. I can watch all 12 episodes on any given weekend. Also I Claudius which I have on VHS, sometimes, when in the right mood.

Last edited by TORONTONY; 28-04-2016 at 23:48.
29-04-2016, 00:12   #14
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 36,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Gibbon View Post

I'm watching Black Sails at the moment, along with The Tunnel: Sabotage.

I've just finished 100 Code, hard to watch the subtitles whilst also typing on the computer though. The same problem occurred in a whole selection of languages for The Last Panthers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melthebell View Post
walking dead
game of thrones
black sails
vikings
banshee

?
Seen all of the above thanks

Quote:
If you haven't watched it, park your brain, ignore the wobbly sets and give Buffy the Vampire Slayer a go. It's good fun.

American Horror Story is quality TV - quite box-setable too as each series is self contained.
Horror is the one genre that I really can't be bothered with I'm afraid. I'd rather turn it off and go and read a book than watch horror that leaves me cold. I'm the person who took knitting to the cinema and kept herself entertained with knitting a jumper through all sorts of horror movies.

Quote:

And we've seen all of Warehouse 13 as well as the Librarians

I think my problem is that I'm immobile so much of the time that when I'm awake I can watch up to half a dozen episodes of something every day so I can get through a series of something in only a couple of days, and my memory is good enough that I can't watch stuff more than once.
_______
'Turn you inside out and lick you like a crisp packet.'
30-04-2016, 08:24   #15
AmberLeaf

Total Posts: 975
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmitt, on Netflix.
30-04-2016, 13:45   #16
Stranza

Total Posts: 1,048
Quote:

Do the free month and then cancel, they sent me an offer after two weeks for another free month and a discount.

Netflix I would binge watch better call Saul and making a murderer.
30-04-2016, 13:47   #17
JFKvsNixon
Kissinger-esque

Total Posts: 21,629
Don't forget House of Cards on Netflix, and I also think that they've got the remake of Battlestar Galactica.
_______
Doing things we hate is the price we pay to avoid loneliness.
30-04-2016, 13:47   #18
Tomm06

Total Posts: 1,947
A colleague at work convinced me to watch Narcos, that was a good series to binge watch one.

A friend also told me to give Trailer Park Boys on Netflix a go, if it's your kind of humor it's pretty decent, I found the first series a bit slow to get in to, but eventually it becomes good, I don't find it ''ha ha'' funny, but I found it enjoyable to watch, very strange.
02-05-2016, 20:22   #19
taxman

Total Posts: 20,508
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Went through the first two series of The Bridge without coming up for air. Terrific series.
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.
02-05-2016, 20:28   #20
nikki-red
Pyjama addict

Total Posts: 51,457
Ive just watched the first 4 episodes of Penny Dreadful.
Dont really know why I didnt watch it when it first started, its exactly my kind of thing
Reply To Topic