Do you use the word "So" to begin all answers to questions?

Over the last couple of years I've noticed a growing trend for people to start their answers to any question with "so...". It doesn't make any particular sense.

At first it was limited to people on TV, and the usual corporate-climbing sycophants one has to reluctantly tolerate to earn a salary, but it's getting to the point where almost everyone is doing it now. I have so far resisted. Anyone here do it?

There was a time when sentences frequently began with the word 'Well'. It gives the speaker thinking time before they have to answer the question. Is 'so' an alternative to 'well'?

What I loathe is the liberal sprinkling around of 'literally', 'basically'. How did that suddenly become so prevalent? Oh,and the use of 'of' instead of 'have'. as in, ' he would of liked that'.

At the end of the day !

---------- Post added 27-08-2015 at 23:54 ----------

You know what i mean

"So" is fine.

What gets my goat is people who start almost every sentence with "Basically".

I also have to agree with the "At the end of the day". It makes me instantly assume that what follows is going to be a load of dingos' kidneys.

I admit to doing it, particularly in the way described in this article

It’s a response that helps create comaraderie and introduce listeners to an idea — a mild warning that some heavy content is coming.

In this way it acts as an attention grabber, saying "you need to concentrate on this bit"

Well, To tell you the truth, at this moment in time, they should of been taught to speak proper.

For me, it's when the most mundane events are described as "amazing" or "incredible".

Look, basically at the end of the day he turned round and said yer know innit.

What about the TV presenters saying things like Henry the eighth is coming here with his troops? no he's not he's dead.

Over the last couple of years I've noticed a growing trend for people to start their answers to any question with "so...". It doesn't make any particular sense.

At first it was limited to people on TV, and the usual corporate-climbing sycophants one has to reluctantly tolerate to earn a salary, but it's getting to the point where almost everyone is doing it now. I have so far resisted. Anyone here do it?

So What....".....

Corporate office speak bugs me the most, and answering questions with "so...." has become part of that. It reminds me of how inane it all is, and how creepy some people are in the desperate plight to climb the greasy pole. Others include:

- Square the circle

- Outside the box

- Rightsizing

- Resource (to describe.. people)

- That space

- Hit the ground running

- By close of play

Wiseowl182. One place I worked at they changed the Personel department to

"Human Recourses" it became known as "Human Remains"