"Bus fare beggars" : What do you do ?

How many people on here have been asked for a few quid because the person has "lost their bus ticket" or "hasn`t got the money for their bus fare" or whatever ?

I accept that most of those doing the asking are probably just conning you, but not all of them. I can remember when I was a kid and I`d somehow either lost my money or my bus ticket and as such couldn`t get home. At that time we lived in Dore so it`d have been a 6 mile walk had some kind chap not helped me out at the 50 terminus on Trippet Lane..... Also when I get asked "for a bus fare" I can`t help asking myself "what would Jesus have done ?". What`s the answer to that one ? ! ?

However, having just been conned again (this time the guy came into my shop and said he`d call the following day to pay back the money.....) it occurred to me that the best course of action is to ask which bus they need to get from which stop and when is it due, then, if it`s nearby, give the money to them as they get onto the bus or pay the bus driver directly. Would that work ? I seem to remember that when I got helped out all those years ago I was actually asking people at the bus stop.

What do other people do when asked ?

If i have a daysaver/week/monthly pass, and ive finished my use with it, i tend to give it to those who are asking.

You know I rejected a guy yesterday morning who said he needed bus fare, presuming it was for drink or drugs or whatever. Then I saw him tap someone up down the road and thought, "You mug".

Then, while waiting at the bus stop, the same "beggar" turned up and spent said money getting on the bus! I did feel bad to be honest, shouldn't have been so judgemental.

How many people on here have been asked for a few quid because the person has "lost their bus ticket" or "hasn`t got the money for their bus fare" or whatever ?

I accept that most of those doing the asking are probably just conning you, but not all of them. I can remember when I was a kid and I`d somehow either lost my money or my bus ticket and as such couldn`t get home. At that time we lived in Dore so it`d have been a 6 mile walk had some kind chap not helped me out at the 50 terminus on Trippet Lane..... Also when I get asked "for a bus fare" I can`t help asking myself "what would Jesus have done ?". What`s the answer to that one ? ! ?

However, having just been conned again (this time the guy came into my shop and said he`d call the following day to pay back the money.....) it occurred to me that the best course of action is to ask which bus they need to get from which stop and when is it due, then, if it`s nearby, give the money to them as they get onto the bus or pay the bus driver directly. Would that work ? I seem to remember that when I got helped out all those years ago I was actually asking people at the bus stop.

Living at Dore you should've been getting taxis not buses! ;)

It'd take a miracle for Jesus to provide accurate Sheffield bus service information.

However, I believe when he's over in Israel, the 68 bus runs every fifteen minutes after the hour from Jerusalem, via Mount of Olives, HaGada HaMa'ar avit, Al Hujeila and the Garden of Gethsemane, before terminating at Bethlehem Central (Monday to Fridays). Sheffield, so far as I can see, isn't mentioned. (citation required)

It'd take a miracle for Jesus to provide accurate Sheffield bus service information.

However, I believe when he's over in Israel, the 68 bus runs every fifteen minutes after the hour from Jerusalem, via Mount of Olives, HaGada HaMa'ar avit, Al Hujeila and the Garden of Gethsemane, before terminating at Bethlehem Central (Monday to Fridays). Sheffield, so far as I can see, isn't mentioned. (citation required)

LOL!!!!

Your replies make me chuckle!

A couple of days ago, my OH saw a smackrat in town doing exactly this- asking someone for 20p for a bus fare. Each person he asked, the amount went up by 20p, until he'd got a handful of change.

She happened to get on the same bus as him, and he had a bus pass!

I've offered to pay the fare on the bus, funny they changed their minds and decided to walk

"Bus fare beggars" : What do you do ?

Avoid going into town.

A woman in town today asked my 2 sons for 22p for her bus fare leaving them quite bewildered as to what to do

A woman in town today asked my 2 sons for 22p for her bus fare leaving them quite bewildered as to what to do

If you want to be polite, just say you don't have any change