TV / television licensing MEGATHREAD

So...after 'avoiding' paying it for some time I finally got busted about 10 minutes ago. It's a fair cop I suppose, but I only watch Doctor Who on BBC and it seems an awful lot to pay for one show that's only on 12 weeks per year :rant:

Shouldn't they just stop asking for a license and get funding from advertising. I do hate adverts but to be honest I record most stuff and fast forward.

Is it worth £120 a year to have no adverts?

So...after 'avoiding' paying it for some time I finally got busted about 10 minutes ago. It's a fair cop I suppose, but I only watch Doctor Who on BBC and it seems an awful lot to pay for one show that's only on 12 weeks per year :rant:

Shouldn't they just stop asking for a license and get funding from advertising. I do hate adverts but to be honest I record most stuff and fast forward.

its £135 a year is it not?

edit to add : its £139.50!!!

If they did that then it wouldn't be the BBC.

I know the beeb gets a lot of stick, a lot of it deserved but really its a superb organisation that still makes essential TV and radio

Commiserations, its always bad getting caught. Maybe next time eh :thumbsup:

You'll get little sympathy here.

But if Dr Who is all you watch, ditch the TV and watch it on BBC iPlayer. No licence required.

BBC iPlayer. No licence required.
Technically you do but how they would find out or enforce it I'm not sure

If they did that then it wouldn't be the BBC.

I know the beeb gets a lot of stick, a lot of it deserved but really its a superb organisation that still makes essential TV and radio

Can't argue with the radio, i'd be lost without radio 4 but are the TV shows really £140 a year good?!

You'll get little sympathy here.

But if Dr Who is all you watch, ditch the TV and watch it on BBC iPlayer. No licence required.

The kids watch all sorts, and I watch other channels. That's really the only BBC show we watch. We mostly watch Doctor Who on iplayer anyway as it's on at an inconvenient time for us.

It's a shame you can't 'opt out' of BBC channels to save that ridiculous amount!

Oh no you don't.

Oh yes you do.

Oh no you don't.

:)

There's an article about it in this weeks Radio Times. As long as your PC aint got a TV tuner in it, no licence req'd.

i have told my teenage kids,when they leave home im not renewing the licence,i would rather spend time on a pc than watch the repeats on tv that i paid to watch several years ago, it must be the only industry in the world that can sell you stuff for a second and third or fourth time and get away with it,unless of course you count the saunas....

Nope.

You only need a license to recieve broadcast transmissions.

BBC iplayer plays recorded material that has been previously broadcast.

Similar situation to not needing a license to use a video player with a detuned TV and without an aerial connection.

You do need a license to watch live TV on your computer, but that is another thing.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/about_iplayer/tvlicence