The absolutely huge 'moan about cyclists' megathread

Cyclists in Sheffield  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Cyclists in Sheffield

• Give em a break, give em some room
    • You don't pay road tax, get off the road

Guest Guest

What can be done about adult cyclists riding their bikes on pavements? This problem is particularly prevalent @ the bottom of Ecclesall Road and around SHU, and to make matters worse most of the cyclists regard pedestrians as the transgressors in this matter.

It doesn't really bother me too much, because if you look at it from their point of view, it's a lot safe to ride on the pavement rather than the road. As long as they're careful, then I think it's fair enough.

Does anybody think that cyclists should be made more accountable and perhaps have to be insured when using public highways?

Guest Pauly

I did a fair bit of cycling before I recently learned to drive and although I've not had any dealings with cyclists since I've been driving, I saw alot of cyclists who took their lives into their own hands by running red lights, mounting pavements in very busy pedestrianised areas and speeding through these areas with little regard for anyone.

I did hear someone say that when they asked a policeman about this, specifically running red lights, he said that they take little or no action with cyclists who run red lights due to the danger they are putting themselves in. If a car hits a bike it's obvious who's going to come off worse so they get minimum protection from the police. Fair enough I think.

I do think that if a bike causes an accident, ie. a car swerves to avoid a wandering cyclist and hits another car or barrier then the cyclist should then be held accountable and be reprimanded for whatever is deemed appropriate.

I don't think that cyclists should have to pay insurance to cycle though. As a former non-driver and low earner it's very helpful to be able to hop on the bike and get around to places that would take much longer by walking and/or bus which may not take the route that you need to take.

Yes. I take your point. I still think that they should have to be accountable to some extent. Perhaps an affordable road tax. I don’t know - £10 a year adults £5 a year kids?

They should also be more strictly forced into wearing highly visible clothing, helmets, and front and back lights. They are difficult to see, especially at this time of year when its dark by 5pm.

Had a cyclist kindly run their handlebar down the side of my motor once. Kindly left me with a false name and address plus the spray job tab. Ta!

Agree with fatjohn about the nominal road tax or would the push iron brigade like to purchase their own paint for the cycle lanes.

I'ts just a thought.

claycraft

Originally posted by fatjohn

Yes. I take your point. I still think that they should have to be accountable to some extent. Perhaps an affordable road tax. I don’t know - £10 a year adults £5 a year kids?

fat`silly`john

surely we should be encouraging cycling not billing people for it?

Agree with what t020 says about road safety though.

And as for cycling on the path, even John Prescott will tell you that is down to `filth` discression.

Guest Mr BusDriver
Originally posted by t020

They should also be more strictly forced into wearing highly visible clothing, helmets, and front and back lights. They are difficult to see, especially at this time of year when its dark by 5pm.

I agree:thumbsup:

Sorry But us buses drivers find it hard to see you :(

Originally posted by Mr BusDriver

I agree:thumbsup:

Sorry But us buses drivers find it hard to see you :(

:lol:

Perhaps a shoulder check should be tried then? Most bus drivers (not necessarily you, of course) think it enough to slam on the right indicator and just pull out without checking - afterall, they will always fair better in any crash. Another thing I find annoying about bus drivers is their inability to turn off the right indicator long after pulling out. It gives the impression of wanting to change lane or even turn right. :P

I have been an avid cyclist for many years, having to stop cos it's difficult getting the whole family on the panniers.

The police are at it again I see. If a cyclist runs a red light then he should be arrested and charged. Sure he may come off worse if hit by a car, but it is the car driver who gets into trouble for not driving with due care or whatever.

A cycle road tax fee is silly. But all cyclists should be forced to take a proficiency test and redo them at intervals of say 10 years. Any cyclist who breaks the highway code should have his pedals revoked for a period of time, and then have to retake the test, or something along those lines.

Cycling on paths is sometimes the safest way for a cyclist. The tram lines are a death trap, and many cyclists have accident through no fault of their own. Where there are no cycle paths and the road is busy, a cyclist should be allowed to cycle on the path as long as care and attention are exercised.

Nosferatu

The Real Undead

Guest Mr BusDriver
Originally posted by t020

:

Perhaps a shoulder check should be tried then? Most bus drivers (not necessarily you, of course) think it enough to slam on the right indicator and just pull out without checking - afterall, they will always fair better in any crash. Another thing I find annoying about bus drivers is their inability to turn off the right indicator long after pulling out. It gives the impression of wanting to change lane or even turn right.

I can relie on you t020 to complain about the bus drivers:mad:

Have you ever travelled by bus?. or are you the one the drivers tell me about in your big car blocking the bus lanes on Ecclesall Road?. ( A JOKE )

Anyway to answer your question:

We asked for blind spots to fitted to all bus mirrors so we could see the bike's etc

NO-CHANCE to much money was the reply:loopy: