How polluting is your car?

With recent news about VW and others fraudulently getting their vehicles passed the EU and UK emissions tests.

Here is a web site to see well how your car performs, not all new cars perform better than the old ones. Many of the older cars are not listed. See what you think.

http://equaindex.com/equa-air-quality-index/

Renault Clio Diesel 2002 1.5 65 FWD 2 Manual Euro 3 H

Renault Megane Diesel 2016 1.5 108 FWD 2 Manual Euro 6 G

The Megane is a slightly bigger car, but is only slightly less polluting(but much more power) than a Clio after 14 years of development in cleaner tech.

I guess people want speed, not clean air? How much cleaner is Euro 6 meant to be than Euro 3?

The honest answer to your question, which will paint me as some kind of Earth vandal to many, after running LARGE 4 x 4 most of my life, It seems I have little worry about my cars pollutant level.

Here's why.

CHINA makes 28.21% of the worlds CO2

USA 15.99%

INDIA 6.24%

RUSSIA 4.53%

JAPAN 3.76%

GERMANY 2.23%

KOREA 1.75%

CANADA 1.71%

SAUDI ARABIA 1.56%

We don't appear to be on this list from 2017, so our emissions must be very low as a worldwide % . What is the point of the UK trying to stop the use of the IC engine given these figures, it's laughable.

Angel1.

Petrol cars do not emit NOx like diesel do; so comparing an old petrol car to a newer diesel car is pointless.

Even when governments were promoting diesel cars, we knew there were issues with toxic emissions (those immediately harmful to humans, not COâ‚‚). Heating air in an engine produces nitrogen oxides (NOâ‚“) which include the toxic nitrogen dioxide (NOâ‚‚), greenhouse gas nitrous oxide (Nâ‚‚O) and nitric oxide (NO), which reacts with oxygen to form NOâ‚‚. In a petrol car, these can be cleaned up by a three-way catalytic converter so that it emits on average around 30% less NOâ‚“ than a diesel car, without after-treatment.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/fact-check-are-diesel-cars-really-more-polluting-than-petrol-cars/

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/782194/diesel-car-NOX-emissions-pollution-vehicles

The honest answer to your question, which will paint me as some kind of Earth vandal to many, after running LARGE 4 x 4 most of my life, It seems I have little worry about my cars pollutant level.

Here's why.

CHINA makes 28.21% of the worlds CO2

USA 15.99%

INDIA 6.24%

RUSSIA 4.53%

JAPAN 3.76%

GERMANY 2.23%

KOREA 1.75%

CANADA 1.71%

SAUDI ARABIA 1.56%

We don't appear to be on this list from 2017, so our emissions must be very low as a worldwide % . What is the point of the UK trying to stop the use of the IC engine given these figures, it's laughable.

Angel1.

That is a very narrow minded understanding you have there. We may not be able to affect the outcome directly significantly like other countries, but it absolutely shouldn't stop us developing technologies which other countries can use. We can benefit very well financially out of all this.

the bit I don't get with all this is that these cars still return good mpg, which is what a consumer wants.

the bit I don't get with all this is that these cars still return good mpg, which is what a consumer wants.

If your main concern is climate change, then the better MPG would favour diesels; but if you live in a city where it misses clean air targets - a petrol or battery powered car would be better.

If your main concern is climate change, then the better MPG would favour diesels; but if you live in a city where it misses clean air targets - a petrol or battery powered car would be better.

Battery cars are the most polluting at present, if you are thinking of the climate, petrol on a smaller vehicle is better if you want a small car?

Edited by phil752

Battery cars are the most polluting at present, if you are thinking of the climate, petrol on a smaller vehicle is better if you want a small car?

New Peugeot 208 BlueHDi(diesel) is the UKs best MPG car, according to Auto Express.

On the road, the 1.6-litre diesel, while the stop/start operation is somewhat erratic, so you’ll struggle to match the claimed 83.1mpg.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/peugeot/208/92157/new-peugeot-208-bluehdi-2015-review