I can't stand 'passed away'.

I have worked in pet rescue for over 20 years, and that is still one I can't stand. Just the concept of poor animals being stuck waiting for the owner that won't be coming because they don't believe in an afterlife is one issue, and the cloyingly saccharine sweet 'everything is perfect' once they're dead is another. No, they're dead and the good part is that they're not continuing to struggle with whatever it was that got to them in the end.

My dog is well into the age when she could pop her big furry clodhopping clogs at any point, and when that happens I will be sad, but I will be grateful for all of the years of fabulous companionship and world class eyebrow work and groans that she brought into my life, but not so grateful for all of the mud. I will be thankful that she's no longer going through the daily struggle that she currently has with joints that are slowing her down more and more, but not because of some notion that she's now young again and waiting in a field for me.

If you work in animal rescue though, sometimes it's good to just be quiet and let people say what they're going to say and feel what they're going to feel, because trying to stop people believing in the rainbow bridge would definitely constitute cruelty to quite a lot of people.

I don't want to turn all hippyish here but I agree with you . I lost my best mate 2 years ago at the age of 16 . I cried more for him than I have some family members , but a least is not in pain now . posted with a tear in my eyes

If you go by believe that death is just a transition

between one form (or world) to another, than passed away make sense

Strange how the op seems to be happy perpetuating every modern day sensitivity on here but has an issue with what is generally considered a sensitive term for saying someone has died :huh:

"Gone to Rose Cottage".

Now there's one that's very open to confusion... especially as there's a tea room in Castleton called Rose Cottage!

he's Passed away

he's Passed on

he's Passed over

he's Died

he's Dead

he's Kicked the Bucket

he Had a jammer

he's brown bread

he croaked

he's pushing up daisy's

he popped his clogs

he's counting worms

he's departed

he's done for

he's snuffed it

he's six feet under

and my personal favourite when asking if someone has died -

Well, they buried him on the strength of it

If you go by believe that death is just a transition

between one form (or world) to another, than passed away make sense

I prefer passed over, meaning to the other side, which we will all one discover.

he's Passed away

he's Passed on

he's Passed over

he's Died

he's Dead

he's Kicked the Bucket

he Had a jammer

he's brown bread

he croaked

he's pushing up daisy's

he popped his clogs

he's counting worms

he's departed

he's done for

he's snuffed it

he's six feet under

and my personal favourite when asking if someone has died -

Well, they buried him on the strength of it

Were you referring to a parrot, by any chance?:D

Look at the monty python parrot sketch.

In reference to someone that has died in Sheffield I'd never say "he's in a better place" in case they thought I meant Leeds.

Were you referring to a parrot, by any chance?:D

Hahaha Brilliant :hihi:

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!

THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

Heard a good one in the 70s. Bumped into someone I knew and asked how her husband was, she replied " he's under sod". I guess she didn't miss him.