Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Like Oxford, should Sheffield ban all non electric vehicles?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

13-10-2017, 23:11   #41
Litotes

Total Posts: 1,762
If only the council used electric vehicles, they could lead by example.
If only they enforced the emissions standards on the buses - - but then there would be no buses on the road and cars would increase and people would complain...
If only there were enough charging points for all these electric cars...
If only the electricity wasn't generated using coal or gas

Perhaps we could go nuclear - if the French and Chinese get their fingers out... but hold on, brexit will derail that one..

I know - Unicorns!!!

No - not Ubercorns!
_______
Less than 38% of the UK's electorate voted to leave the EU - how can this be democratic?
"'In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way." - Nigel Farage 2016
"There is not going to be a general election. Another Tory U-turn...
14-10-2017, 11:18   #42
The Joker

Total Posts: 4,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheffstats View Post
. . .A recent Channel 5 documentary revealed this to be thousands and thousands nationally!!
Say no more, say no more, say no more. . .

I would prefer to see a new Channel 5 documentary such as "Can pay tax, won't pay tax" or "Britain's biggest tax dodgers" but since Richard Desmond, Paul Dacre and Rupert Murdoch are not only the biggest tax-dodging scumbags around but also own much of the UK media, I know I will be waiting a very, very long time
14-10-2017, 15:55   #43
ANGELFIRE1

Total Posts: 4,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza c View Post
what a stupid idea. I loath the people who come up with these ideas. They don't live in the real world. I think they just get a lightbulb moment. They wouldnt be able to provide the infrastructure for a start.

its like trying to ban diesel cars. People who commute a fair distance to and from work will use diesel as its more economical than petrol if they travel long distances.

And then there is the constant trying to herd the car user onto public transport. Unfortunately the public transport system is not fit for purpose and hasn't been for years.

The Government has simply put the horse in front of the cart, no surprise there then. A much better idea would have been to sort out the answers to the problem first, then implement their plan to ban ic cars. Then go on to vans, and the bus (long distance), and the trucks, railway engines, ships at sea, oh and aeroplanes, farm tractors and combine harvesters. I foresee many problems on the horizon.
And to expect so called wind farms and their ilk to supply the extra energy is a pipe dream from the greenies.

Angel1
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.
14-10-2017, 19:32   #44
horribleblob

Total Posts: 4,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
...And to expect so called wind farms and their ilk to supply the extra energy is a pipe dream from the greenies.

Angel1
For a brexiteer you have insufficient faith in the UK: surely, if Denmark can do it, so can we with our seven thousand-plus mile (windy) coastline.

The technology can only get better and more efficient.
14-10-2017, 20:05   #45
Waldo

Total Posts: 5,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogets View Post
But unlike Oxford where its only a city centre exclusion wouldn't it be brave if a 4 mile exclusion zone was introduced?

From hillsbough, to woodseats, to halfway to attercliffe

All non electric vehicles banned

And this would also include hybrid cars, banned too.

This would make a bold statement to the rest of the world that sheffield takes its environmental responsibility seriously.

And that poor health will not be passed onto the next generation from the current generation
It's a nice idea rogets, but a bit wishy washy and doesn't go far enough to protect the environment.

I think a 50 mile exclusion zone around Sheffield City center is more sensible. No vehicles allowed, of any kind; and also, no human beings either; for at least 300 years, just to give nature a chance.
_______
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
14-10-2017, 21:15   #46
Penistone999

Total Posts: 8,290
Quote:
You sir are a commited petrol.head

Who is in love with the car

How will you answer to.people in 70 years time who will be choking to death caused by people in 2017 who.drive around in high.powered german cars

People will die in there millions
I will be long gone by that time so not my problem.
15-10-2017, 00:17   #47
ANGELFIRE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by horribleblob View Post
For a brexiteer you have insufficient faith in the UK: surely, if Denmark can do it, so can we with our seven thousand-plus mile (windy) coastline.

The technology can only get better and more efficient.
Denmark has a population of five and three quarter million, we have over 60 million so you are comparing apples with pears if you get my drift. Plus we have in excess of 20 million plus households.

Angel1.
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.

Last edited by ANGELFIRE1; 15-10-2017 at 00:26.
15-10-2017, 10:42   #48
The Joker

Total Posts: 4,146
Quote:
How will you answer to.people in 70 years time who will be choking to death caused by people in 2017 who.drive around in high.powered german cars
would it be ok if they were killed by people who drive around in high powered british cars ?
16-10-2017, 10:20   #49
Dan_Ashcroft

Total Posts: 1,911
1) Electric cars are currently powered by fossil fuel burning power stations. If everyone switched to electric cars, we'd need to build about 12 new power stations. It's basically just moving the pollution from point of consumption to point of production. Electric cars will be no good until the grid is 100% renewables and we've got much better battery technology.

2) Transport contributes 11% of pollution. Domestic heating is 40%. Essentially the boiler in your kitchen cupboard is 4 times more polluting than your car
_______
Here is the paradox: the Victorians built for profit and created communities, while now the planners build for a caring society and create ghettos.
16-10-2017, 11:52   #50
ANGELFIRE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Ashcroft View Post
1) Electric cars are currently powered by fossil fuel burning power stations. If everyone switched to electric cars, we'd need to build about 12 new power stations. It's basically just moving the pollution from point of consumption to point of production. Electric cars will be no good until the grid is 100% renewables and we've got much better battery technology.

2) Transport contributes 11% of pollution. Domestic heating is 40%. Essentially the boiler in your kitchen cupboard is 4 times more polluting than your car
Good post. The greenies next idea will be to ban our boilers then. Yes, they really are that insane.

Angel1.
_______
16-10-2017, 12:18   #51
ads36

Total Posts: 106
i'll put my hand up as a "greenie", it's usually interesting to hear people tell me what i think... And i'll agree that banning gas boilers would be insane.

i think what we have here is a classic 'straw man', it's lovely to see one out in the wild!

Last edited by ads36; 16-10-2017 at 12:23.
16-10-2017, 13:21   #52
Bargepole23

Total Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Ashcroft View Post

Clearly, that depends on the size of the power station, but with managed charging, the increase in demand is expected to be around 6-7GW. Hinkley Point C is around 3.2GW I believe.

It's easier to reduce and manage that pollution in one location rather than one million. Dealing with transport pollution, and dealing with domestic boiler pollution aren't mutually exclusive.
16-10-2017, 13:57   #53
amnicoll

Total Posts: 17
Once they have taken appropriate steps to reduce pollution because of their own actions perhaps
16-10-2017, 14:10   #54
Dan_Ashcroft

Total Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
Good post. The greenies next idea will be to ban our boilers then. Yes, they really are that insane.

Angel1.
I'm a greenie. But there's a way to do it

1) Solar panels on every house, except in conservation areas
2) Small windmills in every garden, except in conservation areas
3) Local storage batteries in every garage or loft

Then you have the infrastructure to wind down fossil fuels. Which is basically what Uruguay have done and they are up to about 90% renewables now.

The things holding it back are

1) Batteries - lithium ion is not good enough for local storage in houses or cars. We need the next leap in battery technology first
2) Political will - when there's a centralised system you can tax it. When there's local production as well as consumption, you can't. Plus there's the evil oil and nuclear lobbies with their fingers all over government. If we really wanted to go for it, you simply just wave stamp duty on every house that gets solar panels and windmills fitted when it is next sold.

---------- Post added 16-10-2017 at 14:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargepole23 View Post
Clearly, that depends on the size of the power station, but with managed charging, the increase in demand is expected to be around 6-7GW. Hinkley Point C is around 3.2GW I believe.

It's easier to reduce and manage that pollution in one location rather than one million. Dealing with transport pollution, and dealing with domestic boiler pollution aren't mutually exclusive.
Nuclear is obsolete. It's too expensive and dangerous. Just about every country in the world is now on phase-out, except China and Iran, but even China are having doubts now.

Hinkley C will never be built
_______
Here is the paradox: the Victorians built for profit and created communities, while now the planners build for a caring society and create ghettos.

Last edited by Dan_Ashcroft; 16-10-2017 at 14:18.
16-10-2017, 15:27   #55
Groose
Geek Girl

Total Posts: 12,096
The nasty comment on 'weaker' members of society has been removed. It is not to be reposted.
_______
Armchair Owl
Reply To Topic