What's High Green like?

I live in High Green, I've lived here pretty much all my life. I think its fine, it has everything needed either in the village or locally in Chapeltown. Yes there are some areas that are a bit dodgy, I always say I won't walk near the fosters at night, however theres supposed to be CCTV there now, and the shops just been taken over, and according to my nan who lives near there its a lot better! Generally its good though and High Green Primary school is the third best in Sheffield apparently.

Can anyone tell me what Thomson Hill is like in High Green as a road and also what High Green is like generally?

Comments would be appreciated!

lived up there temp for a year i found it very nice and quiet

I would just like to make one thing clear, High green's boundry is greengate lane. If you live on the chapeltown side of Greengate lane you live in Chapeltown that means that school road and the rest of that run down council estate are part of chapeltown and NOT high green. People say High green is rough, what a load of bull***t. I have lived in High Green for twelve years and I can say it is the best place I have ever lived. I live at the top end of High Green just off thompson hill and moved there from Chapeltown to get away from the gangs of kids that ran riot every night.

I have friends that live in Grenoside (the place to be!) who say that they are thinking of moving to High Green to get away from all the gangs of youths that roam there streets at night.

If you want a place to live that has all the shops, schools, pubs and miles of open countyside on your doorstep then move to High Green!

Yes, I'm sure all the muggers and other ruffians will pay respect to your perceived boundary lines and strictly keep their illegal activities tens of yards their own side of the imaginary border line. That way they won't tarnish the name of High Green. :rolleyes:

To the OP - High Green looks very nice in parts, but I know people who live there (within Paul's definition) and there is a lot of trouble. Steer clear, play it safe and stick to south west Sheffield.

Hi we've been looking around Hoyland, Elsecar, Ecclsefield, Chapeltown and High Green for properties. We have read this thread and became concerned regarding the bad comment about High green and Chapeltown. We've looked at the Sheffield Star website and there isnt anything about muggings etc in the area. Could anyone clarify where the nice areas are and where the areas to avoid are?? we are from York. Thanks

Elsecar is lovely, although I'll get flamed cos I've dared to mention a barnsley area! In High Green avoid the fosters flats if you can, its not dreadful but theres better areas. The Charlton Brook estate is quite nice and theres often houses for sale there, its near a nice woodland area and a dam, not too bad a walk into Chapeltown either but a bit of a walk to high green village centre. Near St Saviours church is nice too as its opposite the park. As for Chapeltown if you avoid the main market area where all the pubs are its fine, Falding Street is round there and although its a nice little road it was where all the flooding was earlier this year (for insurance purposes). It also gets very busy on market days. If you go a little further up Burncross, such as Blackburn drive its fine. Good luck and feel free to PM me for more info.

Anyone who was born and brought up in High Green in the 1940's will know the history of High Green and its' boundaries. They will also remember the Lane End estate being built and it is certainly part of High Green, the whole job lot down to Lane End. For those who really want to know, the High Green boundaries are as follows:- North: A61 Westwood Road. East: Westwood Country park, Warren Lane, Thorncliffe Road dam. South: Bridge Inn Road up to Lane End. Indeed it is this river which forms part of the official Parish boundary between High Green and Chapeltown/Burncross. The Eastern boundary of High Green is the river which runs up from Lane End to Charlton Brook and on up to the junction of the A61/A629 towards Wortley.

Where people get it wrong/get confused is they forget/don't know that Thorncliffe was created a sub parish of High Green. Being really pendantic, the old High Green boundary finished at Pack Horse Lane. This is where the sub parish of Thorncliffe started. So the Southern boundary of High Green used to run from Pack Horse Lane, around Angram Road/Fosters Way and up Springwood Lane to the junction of the A61(Barnsley Road/A629(Wortley Road). So not even roads such as Jeffcock, Greno View, Vickers and The Circle were officially in High Green,. They were in Thorncliffe together with Greengate Lane.

However, all throughout time, Thorncliffe has always been considered as part of High Green. The boundary of Thorncliffe with Chapeltwon therefore is the same as for High Green.

I have a flat accross from the Fosters and have never had any trouble when I lived there. I find it very quiet. I have a car with a soft top (kept on the road) that has never been touched and regulary walked home from the pub at night and have never felt threatened.

Plus the Fosters is getting knocked down and the whole area is being redeveloped.

As others have said... High Green is not perfect, but there are much worse areas of Sheffield.

I own a few homes in High Green, to rent. It's a great place, however the council seem he'll bent on moving in one asbo family after another. It's like the council have some sort of vendetta against the place. I've had to beef up security on the homes I own, however no break ins in almost 26 years.

I know that this is probably in the wrong section, but The Barrel in Chapeltown which is near High Green is reopening. I would say High Green is nice because Shaggy lives there and he wouldn't live somewhere nasty. :)

When i lived in high green in the 90's, this song below pretty much sums the area up:

From what i can gather the area is improving however some body was stabbed outside the market pub on saturday,

Funny thread ..I'd say 'these days' the Chap/High Green border is between and after the Barrel pub and Staindrop Lodge.

Altho' before the Wortley U.D./R.D. Council housing estate was built down School rd Worral rd etc most of that area Was classed as Chapeltown ..

Centre of High green is top of Wortley Rd (formerly Rotherham Rd).

Any where north of Ecclesfield is Barnsley imho. Chap and High Greeners Stocksbridgers etc even talk like Barnsley folk.. it's not really Sheffield tbh.. )

Thompson Hill and that part of High Green is fairly nice.. like most places up North, High Green's gradually declined since the 1980s, bus service has gone down hill, shops closed,pubs closed, schools closed fosters flat is no more..

But as for housing probably next door Hoyland Nether and Kimberworth Area are cheaper than High Green, Chap, Burncross these days .. hth

Edited by WestTinsley

I always thought high green was a decent place to live from what you are saying on here it's not so good still got to be better than some places in sheff

Did the artic monkeys come from high green

Edited by lien1