How not to write English- the HSBC way

Not really trolling, more "I don't know when to capitalise so I won't bother trying to guess".

I wish I could work people out from a not capitalised proper noun in a forum post like you can.

As a little test of your grammar knowledge can you spot all the (deliberate) grammar/spelling mistakes in my previous post:

"I am the worst kind of troll deliberately not capitalising proper nouns. Non are more evil than i."

Edited by TimmyR

That's literally the whole point of this thread....

That should be three dots...

I wish I could work people out from a not capitalised proper noun in a forum post like you can.

As a little test of your grammar knowledge can you spot all the (deliberate) grammar/spelling mistakes in my previous post:

"I am the worst kind of troll deliberately not capitalising proper nouns. Non are more evil than i."

I'm not here to correct your capitalisation, grammar or spelling. You should have paid attention when it was being taught to you at school.

I think, I am the worst kind of troll deliberately not capitalising proper nouns. None is more evil than me.

Interesting HSBC never advertise what it stands for.

I think, I am the worst kind of troll deliberately not capitalising proper nouns. None is more evil than me.

Hooray! Well done. 10/10 (ignoring the "I think,")

---------- Post added 14-09-2017 at 07:43 ----------

I'm not here to correct your capitalisation, grammar or spelling. You should have paid attention when it was being taught to you at school.

No marks for you though.

Edited by TimmyR

Interesting HSBC never advertise what it stands for.

Took me years until I realised they were the

Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation

I still call 'em the Midland

And, oxymoronically, the World's Local Bank (whatever that means).

'oxymoronically', I like that. I think that would be marketing speak, therefore it doesn't have to mean anything.

Took me years until I realised they were the

Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation

I still call 'em the Midland

I worked for them for a short time and never once saw it on any of their literature!

Another HSBCism.

A recent message from HSBC told me this:

On Friday 10th November changes will be made within Faster Payments Scheme Limited for some Banks, as a result there will be a scheduled scheme change window between 4:30 and 6:30PM UK time.

If you initiate a Bill Payment to an impacted UK Bank sort code during this time the payment will be rejected and you will be required to re-initiate the transaction after the scheme change window.

We therefore recommend that you refrain from attempting to initiate any Bill Payments during this scheme change window.

You what? Let’s try rewriting it:

On Friday 10th November, some Banks will change their Faster Payments Schemes electronically between 4:30 and 6:30PM UK time.

Please therefore do not make Bill Payments during that period as these might be rejected; you would need to send them again after that period.

See? Much better!

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

The power of SF! I've received a reasonable reply from HSBC. It says this:

Thanks for the feedback, I will pass it on.

You wouldn’t believe the number of people who are involved in creating customer communications and agreeing it before it gets sent out. So it always ends up as a compromise that balances the level of tone of voice the bank wants to use with a more practical can the customer understand what we are saying.

The tone of voice is defined in a guide that all mass communications have to adhere to. This stops us saying this like you can’t do x so we end up with things like we recommend that the you refrain for doing something.

Personally I agree with you that the messages could be simplified and easier to understand so feedback like this helps getting changes made as the standard push back is always well there hasn’t been any customer complaints / feedback.

As I said before always happy to receive feedback / suggestions.