How long until Cannabis is legal in the UK?

One last word from me on this. I think the more you make it illegal to do something highly popular, the more the criminal element becomes a major factor. A prime example was Prohibition in the US, organised crime was born through that stupid law. You ban booze and share a 3000mile undefended, border with a country that allows it LOL

It makes sense to legalise pot, in my opinion, just like it made sense to legalise off course betting in the early 60's Another thing. Everybody wins, and no I have never smoked a joint in my life, but I have been hammered by drink a few times when younger. I don't see any difference , neither is good in excess but in moderation, why not?

Cannabis is effectively already legal for medical purposes. Sativex is a botanical extract approved for various types of pain as well as MS.

Although it's weird that one company has been granted a total monopoly on cannabis medicine in the UK, where's the market in all this? There's also Nabilone and Dronabinol, but all these extracts are things that anyone can produce in their own home and nothing special.

Prohibition has resulted in a surge in the chinese production of israeli developed synthetic cannabinoids like JWH-018 (spice).

---------- Post added 13-05-2017 at 21:24 ----------

[/color]

Current thinking is that it's actually the balance between THC and cannabidiol which determines the psychotic effects. High THC with equally high cannabidiol is safer than lower levels of THC without cannabidiol.

Evidence for cannabis related psychoses is extremely poor, and most cited cases are cases for polydrug use, rather than just cannabis.

But the whole psychotropic profile depends on dozens of terpenoids, many of which are inactive on their own. It's still poorly understood, but the horticulturalists have explored the spectrum of terpenoid balances and found ones that are better for MS, some that are better for epilepsy, some that are better for nausea and appetite.

In terms of psychoses, Spice is far, far, far worse than any cannabis. Legal to possess, illegal to supply, import or manufacture.

---------- Post added 13-05-2017 at 21:41 ----------

[/color]

But the cost to the police of prosecuting cannabis offences is quite high none the less. The Lib Dems estimated in London that £24 million and ~385,000 police hours a year were spent on cannabis possession prosecutions.

The potential revenue from legalisation could be pretty significant.

Pherhaps there is someone who works in the judicial system that could tell us the percentage of shoplifters that are arrested who are sent for drug referrals following drugs tests whilst in custody!

Yes that would be very interesting. The last study I saw quoted in a book (which doesn't make it true) was back in 1998 and done by the Home Office.

Back then 80% of adults arrested for shoplifting tested positive for at least one drug.

Interestingly, the study went into great detail and showed no significant increase in crime due to cannabis use, and only a small increase due to dealing cannabis only.

The problem now is, there is almost too much evidence out there to sift through unless you have unlimited time.

First of all, I'm not encouraging the use of cannabis.

Over the last few years Spain has licenced the sale of cannabis from small discreat dispensaries. You can go in look at the menu and chose the strenth you require.

You can become a member if you are resident in spain, and once a member the cost goes down. If your a non-resident you will be asked to produce your passport.It all seems very civilised.

Alot of expats retire in spain and its quite surreal to see 80yr granny walking in for cannabis arthritis pain medication.

The authorities are happy generating revenue, but smoke it out in a public place then expect some jail time.

If it's out in the open we can be educated about it. Talk about it. Regulate it!

If we do nothing and condemn it, we push it underground where we can't be educated about it, talk about it, or regulate it.

......quite a number of financial advisors are advising investors to buy shares in cannabis producing companies,mainly Canadian companies.Warren Buffet is a big investor through one of his companies along with other high profile big hitters!

Legalization will no doubt spread as it did with the consumption of alcohol and tobacco,just another huge tax collect for governments they can ill afford to ignore.

They just have to wait and suss public opinion for the right introductory time.

If it's out in the open we can be educated about it. Talk about it. Regulate it!

If we do nothing and condemn it, we push it underground where we can't be educated about it, talk about it, or regulate it.

sensible talk

Explain to me how legally dispensing it will make the underground market where people produce and sell it go away?

Explain to me how legally dispensing it will make the underground market where people produce and sell it go away?

theres no money to be made from it illegally if its legal, they make money when something isnt available, sadly they will just move into some other avenue

Well, there's a turn up for the books - Sajid Javid will reschedule cannabis from Schedule 1 to Schedule 2. Welcome to the 20th century Sajid, but still some catching up to do!

In case you're curious

Drugs belonging to this schedule are thought to have no therapeutic value and therefore cannot be lawfully possessed or prescribed.

The drugs in these schedules can be prescribed and therefore legally possessed and supplied by pharmacists and doctors. They can also be possessed lawfully by anyone who has a prescription.

Sajid Javid's written answer : https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statement/Commons/2018-10-11/HCWS994/

Even the tiniest crack can cause the dam to collapse....

Paving the way for more medical use of marijuana as other countries have already done?