Should cyclists be required to wear High-Visibility Vests or Jackets?

I think a better question would be "should motorists be forced to have annual eye tests"

I do commute by bicycle, always have lights on (pulsating) yet still motorists fail to see me...or more worrying don't give a toss!!

I ride as close as I can to the gutter, hitting all the litter thrown out by the "Bloaters in their Motors"

As others have said, don't ride in the gutter - it's dangerous.

At the very least read a copy of Cyclecraft. It's the recommended course book for the government's cycle training scheme. They sell it in Waterstones (probably the easiest place to browse a copy) and Sheffield Libraries have some copies if you don't want to buy it.

I'm sure the cycling proficiency green sycc wallet was taken around 3rd or 4th years of junior .

---------- Post added 22-07-2017 at 18:36 ----------

I think many should be forced to undertake a new test ..or at worst banned

A refresher course on the highway code might be an idea, fail that.......

I coach cycling. And there are ways of being more visible

But any motorist who utters the words

Sorry mate I did not see you.

Needs a retest

Eye test, awareness test or driving test?

---------- Post added 23-07-2017 at 13:24 ----------

Re the post title, yes.

And be made to adhere to the rules of the road. And have insurance. And be made to have identification on the outer clothing visible to the public.

Angel1.

Here here! And to be open to prosecution if they don't do so.

Says you with a lowercase letter at the start of a sentence. He who throws stones and all ... and yes I understand the irony.

However the concept of bike riders having at least some form of basic understanding of the roads is a good point. Maybe like other countries we could teach this in school. Make it part of everyone's curriculum. This would help promote cycling at an early age.

Leaving home on Friday morning, our small estate had maybe 20/30 kids and several teachers sat around. All had cycles and were getting instruction in small groups on how to use the roads. This is the third time this year I have seen them.

Angel1.

Says you with a lowercase letter at the start of a sentence. He who throws stones and all ... and yes I understand the irony.

I just spotted this. I mean really was it worth writing all that about a lower case letter at the start of a sentence? The post wasn't a legal statement or an application letter for a job. It was a quickly typed post on a forum. Were you trying to say my post was unkind and getting me back by indicating I too am stupid? I mean maybe I am but that lower case letter is hardly evidence for it.

Edited by TimmyR

I think a better question would be "should motorists be forced to have annual eye tests"

I do commute by bicycle, always have lights on (pulsating) yet still motorists fail to see me...or more worrying don't give a toss!!

I ride as close as I can to the gutter, hitting all the litter thrown out by the "Bloaters in their Motors"[/QUOTE]

Jeez! Which roads do you cycle on?