Sheffield political things

Well not exact words what they used but that's how I sort of saw it. Listen, I just done a Google and found this what I pasted here below. It's not good news if your liking Labour to win!!

Labour would cost every family £1,000 a year more in taxes, according to think-tank that warns failure to control borrowing would leave Britain 'less well placed' to deal with another recession

Institute for Fiscal Studies says taxes will be £12b higher under Labour

Said the gap 'between the parties' was 'bigger than any time since 1992'

David Cameron said assessment showed Labour was 'risk to our recovery'

In withering verdict, think tank said parties were keeping voters in the dark

The IFS doesn’t say so in its assessment of what the parties have to say about the public finances in their respective manifestos, but it clearly thinks the Conservatives are winging it. In truth, the thinktank believes everybody is winging it, but the Conservatives are winging it more than Labour, the Liberal Democrats or the SNP.

Why? Because the Conservatives have by far the most ambitious plans for reducing the deficit but have made only the sketchiest attempt at explaining how they would do so. The IFS on Thursday sought to ink in some of the details. Assuming that Osborne would be able to find £5bn by clamping down on tax avoidance (which the IFS doubts), his plan to put the country back in the black by 2018-19 would involve £12bn of welfare cuts and £13bn of savings from government departments.

There are no stealthy ways of tackling the welfare budget. Cutting £12bn from welfare means taking money away from the hardworking families the Conservatives are courting in the election campaign, which explains their reluctance to spell out what the new round of austerity actually requires. It will mean less generous child benefit, lower housing benefit for those in low-paid jobs struggling with high rents in London and cuts in incapacity benefit.

Similarly, saving £13bn from Whitehall departments, while sparing the NHS, schools and overseas aid from the axe, is going to require that the budgets of unprotected departments such as defence and the Home Office will need to be reduced by 18% in inflation-adjusted terms. The cut in the next parliament will be as big as that seen in the last parliament and will bring the cumulative reduction to a third between 2010 and 2020.

The IFS dismisses the suggestion that the Conservatives could find the find the money from efficiency savings. If they were that easy to find, the IFS notes, they would have been found by now.

So the message from the IFS is not just that the Conservative manifesto is uncosted but that it will be extremely hard to implement. What the IFS doesn’t say is that if the Conservatives did manage to implement the social security and departmental spending cuts they say are in store, they would again slow down the economy so much that their deficit reduction targets would again move out of reach.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/23/ifs-analysis-party-manifestos-public-spending

They didn't privatise the Post Office, they privatised the Royal Mail.

And it wasn't a "running sore", but a venerable and much-loved British institution that was providing a first rate service while generating healthy profits for the taxpayer. Whereas now the taxpayer has been lumbered with its pension liabilities while being deprived of the profit stream that might have helped to pay for them.

Polls showed that even among Tory voters only a minority were in favour of privatising it (40%, with only 8% of Tory voters "strongly" in favour, cf. 48% against, including 20% "strongly" against).

Thank you for your correction, that's the only bit you got right.

Cleggs government has tackled the greatest economic disaster in this country since the Great Depression.

Created over 2 million jobs,

Made the UK the fastest growing economy in the developed world.

Has protected and extended the services provided by the NHS.

Privatized the running sore that was the Post Office.

Made Sheffield City council and all such councils manage their finances appropriately.

Made difficult decisions while exercising power not just ranting from the sidelines.

Anyone can do things that make them popular, Clegg has done the things that are right for the country knowing that his reputation would be vilified by people who are good at spending other peoples money.

I am a Tory, but if I lived in Cleggs patch I would vote for him. A brave, honorable man.

Clegg's Govt, by raising VAT and cutting relentlessly, slowed growth to such a degree in the first two years of Govt. that the deficit actually got worse while the people got poorer. Then they quietly ditched their policy and returned to Alistair Darling's plan, since when things have improved slightly. Jobs created under this Government are mainly part time, zero hours and self-employment. Where is the march of the makers we were promised? Where are the jobs in the North? All we see are sanctions applied to the benefits of the most vulnerable - the disabled and mentally ill. The NHS is on its knees, with GPs retiring, agency nurses, agency consultants costing more than if the NHS had been properly funded. The Post Office was not a running sore. It was a much loved institution, sold on the cheap to profiteers who now seem to think they can't quite manage a universal service. You talk of Sheffield City Council being made to manage its finances properly. Clegg's Govt. cut the money that they give to Sheffield by over £238 million, a reduction of over 50%, since 2010. In the first two years of this government alone, Sheffield’s funding was cut by £139 per person. In contrast, Richmond Upon Thames in leafy West London (just down the road from Nick Clegg’s house) was cut by only £11.99 per person. How is this fair and equitable? You say you are a Tory, once there was a thing called "Compassionate Conservatism", now we merely have the nasty party, presiding over hunger, ignorance and want.

if I lived in Cleggs patch I would vote for him. A brave, honorable man

I am in total agreement

Clegg is getting my vote in a couple of weeks :nod:

I am in total agreement

Clegg is getting my vote in a couple of weeks :nod:

Like minds attract ...

Like minds attract ...

Indeed

He's a really decent guy - who wants the best for community as a whole.

Not just the tiny little myopic of 'Me and mine', currently so prevalent in our capitalist ridden world

I like him :)

Have I got the date wrong? Is it the 1st of April today? :o You would think so looking at a lot of these posts.......unbelievable! :roll::hihi:

Understand policies from each party and see what is best for you or best for the country. Why do people vote for a particular party "because they are working class" when they have no idea how those policies affect them? I see people voting for a party whose manifesto is in conflict with their own beliefs.

I'm not a political creature so I know its not an interesting subject to everyone. Please take a little time to understand the major headlines from each party manifesto and see if you agree with them before casting your vote. I have been old enough to vote for over thirty years but I'm not convinced I'm going to vote for my 'usual' party. I would prefer it if I could vote for a coalition between two parties. Shame you can't do that. :huh:

Have I got the date wrong? Is it the 1st of April today? :o You would think so looking at a lot of these posts.......unbelievable! :roll::hihi:

Understand policies from each party and see what is best for you or best for the country. Why do people vote for a particular party "because they are working class" when they have no idea how those policies affect them? I see people voting for a party whose manifesto is in conflict with their own beliefs.

I'm not a political creature so I know its not an interesting subject to everyone. Please take a little time to understand the major headlines from each party manifesto and see if you agree with them before casting your vote. I have been old enough to vote for over thirty years but I'm not convinced I'm going to vote for my 'usual' party. I would prefer it if I could vote for a coalition between two parties. Shame you can't do that. :huh:

It's not what is in the headlines but what isn't printed there..that's the stuff you need to look for..

Indeed

He's a really decent guy - who wants the best for community as a whole.

Not just the tiny little myopic of 'Me and mine', currently so prevalent in our capitalist ridden world

I like him :)

It's not what is in the headlines but what isn't printed there..that's the stuff you need to look for..

I never said from the news headlines (or similar) did I? Headlines from the manifesto ie salient points (main points) from the manifesto as apposed to reading every single word printed in the manifesto and doing every single calculation to check it will work in practice.

If you ready my post I do actually say from the manifesto. You should have read it/understood it as 'look at the main points in their manifesto'. I would never advise someone to try and form an opinion from a biased view in print or on some TV or radio program.

dsgfjhrlfhlih

PAHAHAAA! :D