Sheffield Forum
Your message here

The Broadfield Ale House

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

22-12-2011, 21:11   #21
yoga_matt

Total Posts: 6
I've been a few times. It's been done out nice with a good selection of beers and whiskys, but like others, I've almost lost patience whilst waiting to be served.
23-12-2011, 16:17   #22
orchis

Total Posts: 78
I think its fantastic! Went on wednesday after work got served straight away, sat down and ate a big plate of bangers and mash. Delicious my fella had the pie also delicious, congratulations to the owner its a fabulous refurb, and a real asset to the wonderful road that is abbeydale!
23-12-2011, 17:05   #23
Sarah1982

Total Posts: 860
We went Wednesday night and loved it.

Really nice atmosphere, good background music, its been refurbished and is unrecognisable from the old place.

Went back on Thursday and didnt like it as much - far too busy with not enough staff, and the atmosphere no where near as nice. But - most people will have been breaking up for work, so everywhere is busy i guess.

Also the door near where we sat didnt work (to go out the back), but we had people almost smashing through it trying to get out every 10mins...could have done with a sign on it.

The wine is a little pricy 5.60 for a large Pinot Grigo - which for a local I think is a little steep. I'd like to see a better selection of Rose wines, as think there was only a Merlot by the glass. My husband was happy with the large choice of beers.

Where we live its between the Millhouses and here as my local (nicer pub) of choice - and The Broadfield wins hansdown for me.
23-12-2011, 21:39   #24
Roger123W

Total Posts: 570
I have been in since the food started and I must say it was great - I had the beef burger and hand cut chips which were the best I have tasted and my friend had the steak and mushroom and ale pie which he said was the best he ever had ... on the down side we had to wait ages to get served at the bar and then someone who came in after us got served first .. not very experienced staff I think ... the promised victorian walled garden at the back is obviously not finished yet and a bit sparse but it may come on in the spring .. all in all it was good though I hope that the live music does not stop now its under new management ....
23-12-2011, 22:00   #25
TJC1

Total Posts: 5,344
Been in 3 times now, the drinks are oj the pricey side, but it is a nice place be better when it quitens down in Jan as its hard to get served. Big improvement on the old broafie anyway
24-12-2011, 16:06   #26
Mandem

Total Posts: 1,845
we walked past on Thursday night, and they had two bouncers on the door, what's that all about !!!
24-12-2011, 16:15   #27
Snook
Misanthrope

Total Posts: 6,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
we walked past on Thursday night, and they had two bouncers on the door, what's that all about !!!
I think they were there to keep the old regulars away. I don't think they are there for good.
26-12-2011, 20:55   #28
jemson

Total Posts: 3,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah1982 View Post
We went Wednesday night and loved it.

Really nice atmosphere, good background music, its been refurbished and is unrecognisable from the old place.

Went back on Thursday and didnt like it as much - far too busy with not enough staff, and the atmosphere no where near as nice. But - most people will have been breaking up for work, so everywhere is busy i guess.

Also the door near where we sat didnt work (to go out the back), but we had people almost smashing through it trying to get out every 10mins...could have done with a sign on it.

The wine is a little pricy 5.60 for a large Pinot Grigo - which for a local I think is a little steep. I'd like to see a better selection of Rose wines, as think there was only a Merlot by the glass. My husband was happy with the large choice of beers.

Where we live its between the Millhouses and here as my local (nicer pub) of choice - and The Broadfield wins hansdown for me.
No, try The Alehouse! Your husband will be even happier and less trouble getting served!!!
26-12-2011, 21:08   #29
Squiggs

Total Posts: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by libuse View Post
... There are, of course, a few negatives; the staff don't seem to intervene when there are ill - mannered children running about the place ....
Thanks

Was going to try it, know not to bother now.
_______
If your dog is seized do not sign anything without reading and understanding it, if you sign your dog over to the authorities, they can destroy your dog.
You do not have to sign your dog over no matter what you may be told. If your dog has been seized, contact DDA Watch: ddawatch@gmail.com or 0844 844 0802
28-12-2011, 13:53   #30
missjenny!

Total Posts: 35
Has anyone tried the food in there yet then? i quite liked the old broadfield, with their band nights etc do they still have anything like that does anyone know?
28-12-2011, 14:27   #31
lomaxkinesis

Total Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggs View Post
Thanks

Really?

There have only ever been kids in there once out of all the times I have been in there. It has been open for only a week, using that as an excuse is pretty poor.
28-12-2011, 14:29   #32
lomaxkinesis

Total Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjenny! View Post
Has anyone tried the food in there yet then? i quite liked the old broadfield, with their band nights etc do they still have anything like that does anyone know?
Don't think they have live music anymore

But I have been for food once, was really good, had the roast half chicken. Was only 6.75 and was perfectly done and well seasoned, huge portions for the price too.
29-12-2011, 11:17   #33
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC1 View Post
They let well beheaved dogs in, was a dog chillin in there yesterday
not a hot dog in sight then?
29-12-2011, 11:21   #34
DerbyTup

33 posts in - plenty of people saying it's good - but no-one so far can actually tell us what beer they have on hand pump? Which kind of tells me that the comments so far are not from those who value their real ale - and therefore it probably doesn't have many/any real ales. If different, do let us know because I'd be attracted to the place only if it had good real ale on handpump.

BTW - 5.60 for a large glass of wine doesn't seem unreasonable to me. It's about normal I'd say. I suppose it depends what kind of pubs you normally buy drinks in - but large is usually 250ml - that's one-third of a bottle of wine. So I'd say that's about par for the course - providing the wine is "decent".
29-12-2011, 11:56   #35
Roger123W

Total Posts: 570
I did wonder why they had 2 bouncers on during opening night too ..
I think it was to stop the old regulars getting in .. after all those
bohemian hippy studenty intellectual arty left wing poor types are at odds with the new image of slick expensive gastro rich trendy continental expensive bottle beers and posh food ..
29-12-2011, 12:47   #36
mediumfast

Total Posts: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger123W View Post
I did wonder why they had 2 bouncers on during opening night too ..
I think it was to stop the old regulars getting in .. after all those
bohemian hippy studenty intellectual arty left wing poor types are at odds with the new image of slick expensive gastro rich trendy continental expensive bottle beers and posh food ..
You mirror my sentiments,after being a regular for 20yrs I can fully understand they had to do something else it would be gone and judging by the amount of people it has been attracting since opening they know which formula to use to attract a certain clientele .It definately is no longer a local in the truest sense but thankfully The White Lion still is and hopefully shall remain so but good luck anyhow thanks for the memories
29-12-2011, 15:20   #37
libuse

Total Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyTup View Post
33 posts in - plenty of people saying it's good - but no-one so far can actually tell us what beer they have on hand pump? Which kind of tells me that the comments so far are not from those who value their real ale - and therefore it probably doesn't have many/any real ales. If different, do let us know because I'd be attracted to the place only if it had good real ale on handpump.
I don't really do real ale so I'm not the best person to answer, but I'll try (forgive any lack of knowledge of the topic on my part); I was in there with someone who only likes what I would call mainstream bitter, such as Old Speckled Hen and the like, and he couldn't believe they had "all those hand pumps" and nothing he'd heard of, which I'd guess might mean they have slightly more unusual real ales? I know one friend was drinking something called Blitzen (?) and another was on Hillsbrough Pale Ale. There looked to be maybe 8 or 10 of them, but as I said, it's not my thing so probably not enough information for you
29-12-2011, 15:29   #38
mediumfast

Total Posts: 1,323
The Buxton Bitter wasn't bad!
29-12-2011, 17:47   #39
DerbyTup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumfast View Post
The Buxton Bitter wasn't bad!
They do beers from Buxton Brewery!!!

Right - I'm definitely in there then. That's my favourite.

A few years ago I would have struggled, I mean, really struggle to name a favourite beer or brewery. Then came Thornbridge, whose beers I think have been sensational because they've brought us something different - not just another range of 3.3%-4.5% bland ales - but really different tasty stuff - Russian Imperial Stouts, beers made with fruit, or pepper, or berries or chocolate or coffee, the fabulous Jaipur at 5.9%, a real replica of a traditional IPA.

But recently I tried the beers from Buxton brewery and I'd put them even ahead of Thornbridge. Buxton 'Wild boar' and 'Axe Edge' being firm favourites.

Thanks for the info btw!
29-12-2011, 17:53   #40
DerbyTup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggs View Post
Thanks

Wow! you are easily put off mate aren't you? Were you ever really going to try it? I doubt it.

I can't stand kids running around the place in a pub either - but I think its the PARENTS who should be responsible for intervening, not the pub staff necessarily.

I certainly wouldn't let it put me off though if all other stuff was positive, which based on early feedback, seems to be the case.
Reply To Topic