Stradbroke Memories

During the 80's and 90's?

Anybody still live there, used to and have not been up for a while, what is the place like now a days?

it is like a hell hole i assure you

I lived at stradbroke place 1967 to 1981. Great place - footy on the school grounds. messing in the stream at the woods - just great place. Parents moved about five years ago - it had started to go down hill then. alot of the flats for the oaps had been given over to younger people and apparently that's when the decline started. sad to see. it was one of the best council estates in sheffield.

I lived on the Stradbroke from 1950 to 1970.It used to be a ten year waiting list to get on there,sooooo quiet the highlight of the day was watching the streetlights come on.Have not lived in Sheffield for 20 years how things have changed.

Best thing that we have ever done moving to Stradbroke been here since Feb this year and its lovely

Like everywhere else there are pockets of bad area I am over on the pretty side - ravenscroft bit.........

Ahh Memories, Playing in the woods, the indian tree? My mumbuying cakes from 'Hamers' or something like that. Sledging down the 'cow field' I lived there for 20 yrs and don't live far away now.

Good God squeakyclean you must be getting on(no disrespect) to remember Hamers shop.When I first moved on there it was the only shop open,most of the others were still being built.:wave:

I'm only 35! Maybe that is old:) All the shops were open when I was growing up, I think there was a hairdressers at the end, then a butchers, Hamers, co-op, betting shop, post office, westwoods (still there) and lastly a chip shop.

Yep thats how I remember it.The barber in the little end shop,brings back memories.When I was a lad(OH MY GOD!!!! I've started to sound just like my father).Anyway,when I was young the barber who worked there was an ex army type who only knew how to do short back and sides.You can see what this did for my street cred back in the "Swinging Sixtys".

squeakyclean & big un

Did you go to city or brook?

Whoops! I did it again, the last post is mine but my son was still logged in to his account!