Knife sharpening

Hi,

I was just wondering does anyone know of a place (preferably in the city centre or Ecclesall) that sharpens kitchen knives?

I know there used to be a great little place on West Street but it has shut down now.

Surely Sheffield has to be the place to find someone to sharpen cutlery!

Thanks.

What about getting a steel and doing it yourself? I sharpen mine regularly, I think I got the steel from a supermarket, they're pretty common.

You can also get little gadgets that have two sharpening stones ready set that you just push/pull the knife through.

What about getting a steel and doing it yourself? I sharpen mine regularly, I think I got the steel from a supermarket, they're pretty common.

You can also get little gadgets that have two sharpening stones ready set that you just push/pull the knife through.

Good idea but if the knife is blunt it won't work, you need a stone. Steels are only good for keeping an edge rather than creating one. However, once it is sharp a steel is well worth having :thumbsup:

To answer the question, I think Peters down by Blacks may do, but I'd ask first as I'm not sure.

Mortons at West Street tram stop do sharpening

Good idea but if the knife is blunt it won't work, you need a stone. Steels are only good for keeping an edge rather than creating one. However, once it is sharp a steel is well worth having :thumbsup:

I didn't know that, but I sharpen them every time I use them so it probably doesn't matter! It's useful to know.

I've got a great knife sharpener you just drag the blade through which sharpens in without complication and effort. It is from Debenhams comes in a tube and was about £8.

I would be surprised if you find anywhere in Sheffield the city of steel.

The city council have made sure that the rates are too high for the small traditional businesses that remind them of Sheffields past to stay open and all the big places have either been shut and knocked down or are in the process of getting knocked down to make way for luxury offices and appartments oh well all in the name of progress.

Hi,

I was just wondering does anyone know of a place (preferably in the city centre or Ecclesall) that sharpens kitchen knives?

I know there used to be a great little place on West Street but it has shut down now.

Surely Sheffield has to be the place to find someone to sharpen cutlery!

Thanks.

What sort of 'kitchen knives' would you like to sharpen??- For carving knives you need a 'steel', the thing that chefs & butchers swipe their blades along. These are only any good provided that the knife hasn't been roughly sharpened on a grindstone or by someone who doesn't know what they are doing !- the knife profile is also important. A traditional Sheffield carving knife was not 'hollow-ground' like those you see today, bought in Tesco eg. or made in the far east. The blade was thick on the top, and tapered to the fine cutting edge - it looks totally flat when viewed from the side, no sudden thinning of the blade near the cutting edge. Knives like this are the best & will last a lifetime. If you want further info. please get in touch as I have the equipment to sharpen & reprofile damaged knives.

The Famous Sheffield Shop ( 475 Ecclesall Rd) offer a knife sharpening services. They use the CATRASHARP Knife sharpening sytem. So a sharpening service in Sheffield using a Sheffield made knife sharpner by CATRA

Couldnt be better !

I saw a sign this week on Eccy Road, The Famous Sheffield Shop does them for about £2.50 if less than 6 inches. It was one of the only shops open....Good on them :)