Sheffield Forum

Dam House - Weston Park. Your experiences.

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

07-06-2009, 11:31   #261
hparkes
Account Closed

Total Posts: 41
My friends and I went on 28 May (3 of us). The food was disappointing and tasteless. The cheeseboard lacked variety. The service was not good - we had to ask for plates for the cheese! and for spoons and sugar with our coffees. I did email the restaurant with our comments but they haven't bothered to reply.
07-06-2009, 12:08   #262
PapaLazarou

Total Posts: 220
Ate here last week. Got to say it was vey very nice. And what a fantastic setting. Good value, great food.
12-06-2009, 16:50   #263
The Damhouse

Total Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hparkes View Post
My friends and I went on 28 May (3 of us). The food was disappointing and tasteless. The cheeseboard lacked variety. The service was not good - we had to ask for plates for the cheese! and for spoons and sugar with our coffees. I did email the restaurant with our comments but they haven't bothered to reply.
Firstly, sorry for not getting back to you with in a week of your email. I think you will find you should have our reply by now.

A guest has also mentioned to us you have also written comments on this forum, so this is why I'm on here now to reply again publicly, although you did say you would rather email us than post you comments on the Sheffield Forum.

Your email was a well put script, but when we read it, it did come across that you had some great ideas on how we should present the food and wine at the Dam House, and how you would season the food differently.

We did not take these comments as a complaint as everyone who cooks or does eat out regularly will have a different slant on "the way we do things" which is only natural, and the style of your letter did not express any anger or want any resolve.

Your views on our procedures or recipes are not wrong, just different to how we actually do them at the Dam House. We adhere to our standards which we have set in order to obtain consistency for each and every guest.

Being an independent, we take all comments from our guests seriously, as we know how much a bad reputation, started on here or not, and bad comments can send a business like ours in to the realms of the Blue Fin, Bluwater, Boho, Seasons, Bay Tree, The Italian Place.... i could go on.

Also, we do remember your table, and our waitress also remembers that you left a "not so small" cash tip, and did not comment on your visit your issues, and with this action we did perceive that you enjoyed your visit, which we apologise that now it looks like this was not the case.

It is always the best option to ask for the manager on duty to express your concerns in order for us to try to rectify the situation, as the general way our food is cooked (i.e. not out of a packet) means that human error can come in to it as all our dishes are made to order ... and the chef may just put an extra pinch of salt in once in blue moon, so please let us know if this does happen.Thankfully ... not a lot!

Any how, back to the grindstone as its a hot day today and the outside section is full of guests and we have a fair few bookings this evening for al fresco dining!

Hope to see you back at the Dam House soon!
_______
Mushroom Lane, Crookes Valley Park Tel: 0114 267 6551.

Email: thedamhouse@hotmail.com Web: www.dam-house.co.uk
25-10-2009, 11:24   #264
holymoses

Total Posts: 1,339
We went to Dam House on Friday 23rd Oct 2009.
The meal was spot on. T Bone steak perfectly cooked.

There where 8 of us and everyone's food was very good, the service was exceptional, the waitress was very attentive, we never had a empty glass.

Take full advantage of the 20, 3 course meal deal, plus print the voucher from their website and get a free bottle of wine. well worth it.( http://www.dam-house.co.uk/images/voucher.pdf )

If I could criticise anything, it would be the tiles for plates, very nice for presentation of the food which did look brill but not very practical, having to dip stuff in the gravy boat, or for the crumble and custard for the desert!

Apart from that a very enjoyable eating experiance, and we will be back, if they will have us.
_______
If you build it, they will come.
26-10-2009, 11:24   #265
walkleydad

Total Posts: 10
Its a good venue that has got better over the years that it has been open. It started off being very stuffy, but I think they've realised they can't get away with that in the current climate!
03-11-2009, 14:57   #266
sussxowl74

Total Posts: 29
Send a message via MSN to sussxowl74 Send a message via Yahoo to sussxowl74
went to dam house on 30th oct and sunday lunch on 1 nov. fantastic again both food and service fab.
05-11-2009, 17:23   #267
fireworks!

Total Posts: 4
not much choice on menu when i went in the summer! maybe they have changed it since? just sandwiches and salads! would not go back for food may have a drink there while in the park, there any much nicer places to eat though
05-11-2009, 17:44   #268
taxman

Total Posts: 20,694
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireworks! View Post
not much choice on menu when i went in the summer! maybe they have changed it since? just sandwiches and salads! would not go back for food may have a drink there while in the park, there any much nicer places to eat though
You obviously went to the wrong place or looked at a different menu to everybody else.
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

I am no longer Taxman!
06-11-2009, 06:58   #269
leeg77777

Total Posts: 50
dont think i will be going there
06-11-2009, 07:29   #270
taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeg77777 View Post
dont think i will be going there
Why?....................................
_______

I am no longer Taxman!
12-11-2009, 06:01   #271
taxman

I'm off there tonight and am looking forward to it.
_______

I am no longer Taxman!
12-11-2009, 07:50   #272
phoebe23

Total Posts: 214
Been to the Dam House twice in as many months. Both times meals superb. service A*. cant wait to try the xmas menu!
12-11-2009, 21:55   #273
taxman

Had a wonderful meal there tonight.

I really cannot for the life of me see why some people have such a downer on the place.

A lovely starter of mushroom, fried bread, poached egg and bacon was followed by a wonderful rump of lamb. Cheese and biscuits was a perfect end and at the moment there is an offer on providing a free bottle of wine with every meal.

At 15 for 2 courses and 20 for 3 courses it's very reasonable as well. The service was friendly and attentive also.
_______

I am no longer Taxman!
12-11-2009, 22:04   #274
Godzilla

Total Posts: 1,455
I really do have to endorse what Taxman has posted. Rivlin6 and I had the olives and warm bread as a starter, thinking that it would be a 'light' option. The portions were so generous that I took most of mine home. The lamb rump was succulent and tender. Taxman and I shared the cheese platter and had difficulty finishing it - again, a very generous portion. Service wise nothing was too much trouble. Great evening, great company and great food.
_______
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity. Christopher Morley
12-11-2009, 22:09   #275
Bilge

Total Posts: 2,159
It sounds good these days. Any cask beer or will I have to make do with overpriced pretend-foreign rubbish?
_______
bilge balderdash baloney claptrap cobblers codswallop drivel hogwash hooey poppycock tosh tripe twaddle
Reply To Topic