Sheffield Forum

Doormen in Sheffield - the Good, the Bad and the Unlicensed

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of Bouncers?
They do a good job under harsh conditions 55 37.67%
They don't do enough 7 4.79%
They are power-mad 69 47.26%
Hmm, i don't really have an opinion 15 10.27%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply To Topic

03-10-2004, 18:09   #21
deano

Total Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally posted by richl
Chances are that you will not be allowed to view the CCTV footage.

If you don't want to involve the Police, another option is to complain to Licensing General at the Council who will investigate the incident as they are currently responsible for registering Door Supervisors.

As RoyJames said, don't tar all Door Supervisors with the same brush - the vast majority are very professional.
I really don't know what to do for the best,is it worth it?
On one hand i don't want other people to suffer such treatment as i did,but on the other hand there is so much "red tape" to wade through.
There is no way i percieve all doormen to be the same,i have the utmost respect for the job they do,i couldn't do it,ive always appreciated the job they do,after all they are there for our safety,but it only takes one or two "bad apples"to change peoples views.
Without wanting to sound mellow dramatic,the lad who threw me out was twice my size,and if i had landed awkwardly could have seriously injured me.
And to think i stay out of town because of the threat of violence from gangs of youths.
03-10-2004, 18:20   #22
saxon51

Total Posts: 8,920
Think about it deano, if you had been sozzled and smashed the place up the manager would probably be pressing you, through the courts, for some kind of reimbursement. His doorman assaulted you, caused you (and your GF) embarrassment and very nearly caused you injury. Does the doorman get away with it. As I said earlier, if it had been a copper who did this, would he be let off?
03-10-2004, 19:00   #23
Andy
Original

Total Posts: 15,109
Quote:
Originally posted by richl
Chances are that you will not be allowed to view the CCTV footage.
The Data Protection Act covers CCTV recordings now, so by law you are entitled to see the footage of you. However, chances are that if you ask, you'll find the tape has been "lost", "re-used" or the machine wasn't working.

I would make a complaint to the Police. Maybe they won't do anything but if they get more complaints from other people, about the same pub, then they might do.
_______
"If you're an alien, how come you sound like you're from the North?"
03-10-2004, 19:07   #24
Draggletail
Just Dragglin'

Total Posts: 8,706
If you want to keep things simple, maybe you could make a complaint to the police, but don't press charges. Presumably the doorman will get hauled in for a bol*ocking from police.
Does this sound about right?
03-10-2004, 19:11   #25
deano

Quote:
Originally posted by markham
Think about it deano, if you had been sozzled and smashed the place up the manager would probably be pressing you, through the courts, for some kind of reimbursement. His doorman assaulted you, caused you (and your GF) embarrassment and very nearly caused you injury. Does the doorman get away with it. As I said earlier, if it had been a copper who did this, would he be let off?
You are right,i don't want compensation,an apology would suffice,that's all i wanted at the time,just wanted him to admit he was wrong,it's a very good point about if it was a police officer they would be suspended,i will put wheels in motion,bit to be honest i think i will hit a few brick walls,will keep you posted.
04-10-2004, 10:53   #26
mr.blaze
just blAze

Total Posts: 2,499
Send a message via MSN to mr.blaze
If your giving bouncers jip what do you expect them to do? Smile say sorry and get you a drink? They have to put up with ****ed up idiots all night long whilst taking jip from people. Bouncers are tought to react to a situation quickly before it ecsculates, maybe some bouncers aren't quite as good at reading situations as others.

In your case as he was quite young, you either offended him or he thought you may pose a problem in which case he reacted accordingly.

Next time when they tell you to leave keep your gob firmly sealed. I've seen bouncers open fire exit doors with peoples head's.

There's often more bouncers than there are of you and in the end of the day your not going to win or achieve anything by giving them hassle.

Just to add: I'm not a bouncer and I know there are some asshole ones about. Just givin my 2 cent for the guys.
04-10-2004, 11:19   #27
JasonHoffman

Total Posts: 1
Oy Deano - stop being such a pussy and fix up. If you are in your 30's and some 18 year old dude put you in a headlock and threw you to the ground, you only have yourself to blame. If you dont stand up for yourself, this kinda ting is gonna happen. eh?
04-10-2004, 11:52   #28
threecolours

Total Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally posted by JasonHoffman
Oy Deano - stop being such a pussy and fix up. If you are in your 30's and some 18 year old dude put you in a headlock and threw you to the ground, you only have yourself to blame. If you dont stand up for yourself, this kinda ting is gonna happen. eh?
What a man! Yes I'm sure it would have really impressed Deano's gf alot more if he'd had thrown a few punches and potentially got himself arrested. (Pls note that is sarcasm..I know that you can't hear tone of voice on the forum!)

I wonder what you're suggesting he should have done at the time particularly as it sounds like it all happened quickly?
04-10-2004, 14:32   #29
skyfitsboy

Total Posts: 483
Quote:
What are you saying here, all 18 year old guys are a push over? because they're young you should be able to over-power them and put them in their place?!

Have you seen the size of some teenagers?

Deano already said the guy in question was twice his size, how can anybody successfully defend themselves against somene who is twice as strong as yourself, unless your Uma Thurman in Kill Bill of course!

Even if Deano had wiped the floor with the bouncer, surely the other bouncers would have got involved and probably put Deano in intensive care!
_______
If Yorkshire was a man, Sheffield would be the heart and leeds the as8hole!

Last edited by skyfitsboy; 04-10-2004 at 14:36.
04-10-2004, 17:55   #30
deano

Quote:
Cheers for that mate,what exactly would you have done?
Dunno bought you but i aint no fighter,would you attack a doorman who has all his mates behind him?
04-10-2004, 18:03   #31
deano

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Blaze
If your giving bouncers jip what do you expect them to do? Smile say sorry and get you a drink? They have to put up with ****ed up idiots all night long whilst taking jip from people. Bouncers are tought to react to a situation quickly before it ecsculates, maybe some bouncers aren't quite as good at reading situations as others.

In your case as he was quite young, you either offended him or he thought you may pose a problem in which case he reacted accordingly.

Next time when they tell you to leave keep your gob firmly sealed. I've seen bouncers open fire exit doors with peoples head's.

There's often more bouncers than there are of you and in the end of the day your not going to win or achieve anything by giving them hassle.

Just to add: I'm not a bouncer and I know there are some asshole ones about. Just givin my 2 cent for the guys.
I wasn't giving him "jip"it was banter,if a doorman can't take a bit of banter he is in the wrong job imo,whats he gonna do if someone really upsets him,kill them?
Also there was a group of us,why did he pick on me,cos i was the smallest male perhaps?Surely they are trained to deal with light hearted banter as opposed to a violent threat.
I don't want this guy clapped in irons,but the way he overreacted on friday was scary,just think he may benefit from some more training,for his own good as well as anyone elses.

Last edited by deano; 04-10-2004 at 18:24.
04-10-2004, 18:53   #32
DaBouncer
Fully Loaded

Total Posts: 5,463
Deano which club was it? Send me a PM
04-10-2004, 19:22   #33
skyfitsboy

Total Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
Deano which club was it? Send me a PM
Me too Deano
_______
If Yorkshire was a man, Sheffield would be the heart and leeds the as8hole!
06-10-2004, 01:10   #34
_mojo_pin

Total Posts: 14
Deano, as we're not allowed to name establishments think of a place in town that shares its name with an area in Morocco, The Clash rocked it, allegedly! Is it the same place you had grief? This sounds just like my experience when I was attacked without provocation by a p****d up young lad claiming to be a bouncer and thrown out of a back door. When I went round the front with blood pouring down my face to warn the doormen that they had someone pretending to be a bouncer, off his head and attacking customers I find out, guess what, he IS a bouncer! You could tell they knew I was in the right despite him saying first that I was banging on doors then that I was tagging the walls with a marker pen because they let me back in. A few of them privately told me that he was deranged and they'd had problems with him before. They put up a wall of silence about it as a group though, leading me to wonder whether he has some family connection to the owners or 'knows people'. or summat. Wish I'd prosecuted, I still have problems bending one of my thumbs and a scar on my top lip where my tooth went through. I still have one more opposable thumb than he does! won't be going back there again even if Rudolph Valentino said "Come with me to the..."
06-10-2004, 01:24   #35
_mojo_pin

There are some good bouncers. We all want someone who can handle themselves watching our backs when we're trying to have a good time, after all there are a lot of cretins in town who get a drink inside them and just want to crack skulls. I'm talking about the kind of doormen who talk down situations, employ control and restraint techniques and only use force as a last resort. I've met bouncers with a 'peace always wins' philosophy who quote Ghandi and Buddhist scriptures and they blow me away with their cool attitude. They are pretty rare though. The job must attract a lot of throwbacks who want power without responsibility and accountability.
06-10-2004, 07:14   #36
Tony

Total Posts: 22,415
Send a message via MSN to Tony
Instead of moaning on here why don't you moan to the Police and Licencing Authorities?

_______
It's the devil's advocaat innit
Otherwise, occasionally gone.
06-10-2004, 18:31   #37
deano

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony
Instead of moaning on here why don't you moan to the Police and Licencing Authorities?

You ought to try it,it's like wading through treacle!!The police have as much as said it "probably won't lead anywhere"
Am awaiting a response from the appropropriate licensing department,likewise the security firm in question and the management of the bar.
This forum would be pretty quiet if nobody moaned don't you think?
06-10-2004, 18:33   #38
deano

Quote:
Originally posted by _mojo_pin
Deano, as we're not allowed to name establishments think of a place in town that shares its name with an area in Morocco, The Clash rocked it, allegedly! Is it the same place you had grief? This sounds just like my experience when I was attacked without provocation by a p****d up young lad claiming to be a bouncer and thrown out of a back door. When I went round the front with blood pouring down my face to warn the doormen that they had someone pretending to be a bouncer, off his head and attacking customers I find out, guess what, he IS a bouncer! You could tell they knew I was in the right despite him saying first that I was banging on doors then that I was tagging the walls with a marker pen because they let me back in. A few of them privately told me that he was deranged and they'd had problems with him before. They put up a wall of silence about it as a group though, leading me to wonder whether he has some family connection to the owners or 'knows people'. or summat. Wish I'd prosecuted, I still have problems bending one of my thumbs and a scar on my top lip where my tooth went through. I still have one more opposable thumb than he does! won't be going back there again even if Rudolph Valentino said "Come with me to the..."
No it wasn't that bar,but the doormen in question does sound very simular.
07-10-2004, 00:12   #39
_mojo_pin

Thanks for the sympathetic attitude and good advice Tony but Deano's right; informing the police is useless in a lot of cases, you get an incident number and little else. Let's say we successfully prosecuted our aggressors, what then? You get to watch the magistrate give out a ridiculously lenient punishment and release monkeyboy back on the streets safe in the knowledge that he or his mates are free to give you a good kicking the next time he sees you without witnesses around. Call me cynical and negative if you will. When you've been through something like that it's healthy to have a good old moan
07-10-2004, 08:54   #40
GazB

Total Posts: 2,766
Quote:
Originally posted by _mojo_pin
Thanks for the sympathetic attitude and good advice Tony
He posted that at 7:14am and from previous experience, he's a grumpy old so and so until he's had his morning coffee so I wouldn't worry about it
Reply To Topic