Now Carpetright and Mothercare..

Just seen the news that Carpetright and Mothercare are having to restructure their store count to stay afloat.

Toys r Us and Maplins are soon to disappear.

Fact is I haven't shopped in the high street for a long time.

Did a mad afternoon rush at Meadowhall before Xmas, but that was the first time since last Xmas.

Haven't been into sheffield town centre for donkeys years.

I buy everything I need either online or at aldi.

Not only is it far far cheaper it's also a lot less hassle.

Anybody else moved away from how they once shopped?

Just to point out, we've been drastically cutting back what we spend as we try to clear all debt ( CC OD etc etc) no one knows the outcome of Brexit and we don't wish to get their laden with debt either.

Also B&Q & MossBros. And owner of Claire's Accessories files for bankruptcy

Yes, it’s the internet that’s caused these shops to close, but you can’t blame people who work all week, ordering their stuff online.

I also shop at Aldi as I cut my food bill in half after moving from Tesco’s. I just wish Aldi delivered their groceries, but they don’t need to as they are doing so well

Yes, it’s the internet that’s caused these shops to close, but you can’t blame people who work all week, ordering their stuff online.

I also shop at Aldi as I cut my food bill in half after moving from Tesco’s. I just wish Aldi delivered their groceries, but they don’t need to as they are doing so well

I partly agree, but Clares accessories sell tat @ high end prices.

MossBros sell average suits @ high end prices(on the back of their history),the same can be said for many of them B&Q have similarly always been overpriced.

On grocery shopping everyone compares with Aldi, but that isn't the same.

You can buy one type of water,one type of flavoured water - if you want choice you're knackered.

Would any of the big names be in a better position if you could only buy one teddy from Toys R Us for instance.

I partly agree, but Clares accessories sell tat @ high end prices.

MossBros sell average suits @ high end prices(on the back of their history),the same can be said for many of them B&Q have similarly always been overpriced.

On grocery shopping everyone compares with Aldi, but that isn't the same.

You can buy one type of water,one type of flavoured water - if you want choice you're knackered.

Would any of the big names be in a better position if you could only buy one teddy from Toys R Us for instance.

Lots of choice at Aldi.

B&Q's failure is their own fault.

They own Screwfix, yet I find Screwfix prices cheaper and their branches easier and more convenient to use.

As a parent I've never used Mothercare. I think my parents did, as it was the place to go at the time, and that's the impression I get of it, that its a dated institution.

Lots of choice at Aldi.

No there isn't really.

I'm not saying it isn't a good thing, do we really need 14 choices of clear water at Tesco?

(I do buy the odd thing from Aldi btw but they can't service all my preferred requirements so i have to buy what they want to make me buy or go elsewhere)

As to the op - carpet gripper @ Carpetright £1.89/m, @ Wilko its £5 for 40 foot of the stuff. Many people are now getting wise and refusing to pay inflated prices.

B&Q's failure is their own fault.

They own Screwfix, yet I find Screwfix prices cheaper and their branches easier and more convenient to use.

As a parent I've never used Mothercare. I think my parents did, as it was the place to go at the time, and that's the impression I get of it, that its a dated institution.

yeah i mentioned to the missus about mothercare and she says other shops sell better, cheaper stuff.

seems to be a trend, some companies havent moved on, and their stuff costs more than the competitors, you can only do that so long before more and more people shop elsewhere

Lots of choice at Aldi.

Got Kangeroo steaks the other day at Lidl, quite nice they were as well.

Many people are now getting wise and refusing to pay inflated prices.

This exactly, shoppers are much more savvy than some retailers give them credit for.

If they find the same product on sale vastly cheaper elsewhere, not only will they avoid your store but they'll tell everyone they know about it too.

Word of mouth is incredibly effective.

Edited by geared

its not just the internet, its the differences between prices in high street shops too, its the high rents and other business related taxs etc on the high street. i think some got too big and bought up other comapnies and shops, now its starting to bite them.

some have just got too damn big and complicated.

I totally agree with the poster above regarding shoppers being more savvy.

Gone are the days when the high street was your only real option other than catologues.

I often think back to my youth and using the yellow pages to source stuff, before the days of the Internet. The retail sector must have made a killing back then simply because we had no choice. I think it's tragic for retail workers but that blame lies with the government for allowing industry's to go under or be bought out by foreign investors. It's appalling to think how much wealth UK consumerism has created in the Far East. The country has gone from one extreme to the other in the space of a few decades.