Dublin, Sheffield, Stockholm

Hi, I have been offered to switch work office...

I am currently based in the companies Stockholm office but have been offered to move to our Sheffield office and not knowing anything about life in Sheffield I would be happy with some pointers.

I spent about 2years in Stockholm but it feels nothing like home,

its just really hard to make friends and people don't do meetups and stuff here.

I previously spent about 5,5years living in Dublin and loved every

minute, it was easy to make friends and to find random meetups to explore new stuff.

But how is it in Sheffield? Is it a hard place to move on your own,

do people frown upon you if you talk to them, is it considered weird to go out on your own, and do people do meetup kind of activities?

Thanks

Gus

Sheffield is also known as England's largest village. It is a rare occasion for me to go into the city and not bump into someone I know. I wanted to move to Sheff way back in 1968....it was 1974 before I did, and have never regretted it. Now live in a village a few miles away, most of our social life is in the brilliant city.

What are your thoughts on trees & dockless bicycles?????

In my opinion Sheffield is really trying. It might take us 10 years to catch up with Leeds or Liverpool or Birmingham and by then they will probably have moved on more, but it is my Sheffield it is our Sheffield. I prefer to praise it rather than knock it. Been here 30 years and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Lots of good things going on.

It's a city that people have differing opinions about, for friendliness, and politeness it can't be faulted {wait untill you are queing to get off a bus and have to hear everyone thank the driver].Economically it is trying. Maclaren and Boeing must have had good opinions. Ranked 14th in friendliest cities in Country Life magazine

Sheffield Hallam is the wealthiest constituency in the North and was ranked 7th in the UK, having said that there are many many areas where you would not want to go.

The best part of living in Sheffield is that you can be out of the city centre into miles and miles of beautiful countryside, dams, hills, rivers, and beautiful villages,

within half an hour.

You pays your money and you takes your choice, and don't forget you will have to learn our language .

Doors generally open inwards rather than outwards so look out for that.

You pays your money and you takes your choice, and don't forget you will have to learn our language .

Wot's tha mean? Wos tha gotten in slack watta?

I moved to Sheffield to go to university in the 1980s and I can honestly tell you that Sheffield felt like home from day one.

These days you often hear of modern society meaning that people never know their neighbours or interact, but I live in one of the areas where neighbours do still know each other and look out for each other, which is lovely.

I'm not going to suggest that all of Sheffield is fabulous, as there are clearly going to be areas that have more problems than others, but it is one of the safest cities in the UK, in terms of violent crime.

We have the usual British habit of whining about everything and if you read all of the complaints you'd believe that we have no public transport system or infrastructure, but that's clearly not so. The trams are generally safe, fast and prompt, so if you work in the city centre going in or out by tram may be something to consider.

Moved to Sheffield about 11 years ago from Liverpool and really like it here. Nice small city feel with gorgeous countryside on the doorstep. People are nice and friendly.

It's not as good as Liverpool, obvs ;)

I don't know about random meetup sorts of things, but there are plenty of activities to do where you'll make some friends. Dublin is a capital city, so there's less here to do than there would be there, but still plenty.

Depending on your interests if you join some clubs or groups then you'll make friends amongst them.

I notice no-one from Stockholm has got anything to see on the matter - typical smug up themselves Swedes....

Go and live in Sheffield and get back to normality that's my advice , I have lived in the land of the Swedes for far too long and the only true friends i have are other foreigners.Not nasty people the Swedish but their society is inward looking and everybody does the same thing ,no comparison can be drawn to life in Yorkshire.