Plans for 37 Storey tower to go on site of old NMB

Just reading in the Star about the new project planned for the site of the old Nelson Mandela Building. Someone was asking on here the other day about what was happening on the old NMB site. SHU are planning on a 37 storey tower which would feature a conference facility with space for 300 people, a 120-room four or five-star hotel, roof gardens, dining and bar areas, 200 flats and room for food outlets on the ground floor.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/university-s-37-storey-tower-with-hotel-conference-centre-and-apartments-will-be-sheffield-s-tallest-building-1-9069631

Not a moan per-se, but I'm not sure 5-star hotel and student flats go together??

Unless Hallam Uni are getting into the residential property development business?

Guest makapaka
Cue the moans.

New development bingo on the way;

"No one will use it"

"It will block the view of [insert building no ones heard of]"

"No one wants to come to Sheffield so why would they stay in hotel"

"We don't need any more offices"

"Where is all the money coming from"

"We are years behind leeds and manchester - this is nowhere near as good as [insert development in Leeds or Manchester here]"

"Good job for the students as [insert accusation at council here]"

"Too many students"

"Too many foreign students"

"There are 2 trees in that area and I hope they ensure the development caters for keeping them"

Not a moan per-se, but I'm not sure 5-star hotel and student flats go together??

Unless Hallam Uni are getting into the residential property development business?

I would imagine they have thought about the flats and the hotel being as far apart as possible and maybe two separate entrances for them. After all you wouldn't want to come across a group of students after a night out entering into a 4/5* hotel with you. I think it could be great for the City, the first thing you will see on leaving the station. Remember the slogan from years ago, Sheffield a city on the move? Sheffield has stagnated over the years, yes we have the SIV's but things like Sevenstone have not materialised and Sheffield has lagged behind other cities. The council have had the little town syndrome, look how long it took Ikea to get permission to build their store. I am not advocating the city becomes full of high rise buildings, we need to keep our historic buildings but we also need to move forward. We need the council to employ someone with vision and ideas who can revitalise the city, not easy but maybe the council could ask the people of the city what we would like to see built here. Give the people of Sheffield a chance to give their views, set up a web page on the council site where people can give put their ideas of how to improve Sheffield.

I would imagine they have thought about the flats and the hotel being as far apart as possible and maybe two separate entrances for them. After all you wouldn't want to come across a group of students after a night out entering into a 4/5* hotel with you.

Although they're not student flats, that's exactly how Beetham Tower works in Manchester.

I like the idea of a tall building here but 37 storeys seems a bit out of scale. The image provided seems a bit heavy handed.

Yea but it's at the bottom of a fairly big hill, so it's not going to tower over the whole city.

That area should be really nice, it's the first thing visitors see when coming out of the station so you'd want some impressive stuff down there.

Just hope they don't go in the direction of the bloody bus station, it's a hole between there and Fitzallen Square !!

So we'll have a 5 star hotel on the Central library site and now one at the old NMB. Ignoring London how many major cities in the UK can support two 5 star hotels?

'5 star hotel' in a press release just trips quite nicely off the tongue.

I think the Easy Hotel model in the old C&A (or Primark in new money) building is more of the type of hotel visitors to Sheffield will demand.

I like the idea of a tall building here but 37 storeys seems a bit out of scale. The image provided seems a bit heavy handed.

The St Pauls Tower is 32 storeys high, lets have some ambition and have buildings that have been thought about not just drab tower blocks lets have some innovative ideas. That's why I say let the people of Sheffield put some ideas forward, I am not saying design them but put forwards ideas that experts could perhaps build on if you excuse the pun. Look at these, I know not to everyones taste but they are different and not drab.

Portsmouth https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrP4k_Zuq9aTQUAZDpLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTB0ZTgxN3Q0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=portsmouth+tower+blocks&fr2=piv-web&fr=crmas#id=40&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fl7.alamy.com%2Fzooms%2F5a64eddfcf124a0caa1b68fa74e7982f%2Fnumber-1-gunwharf-quays-tower-skyscraper-building-portsmouth-hampshire-dxd991.jpg&action=click and these https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrP4k_Zuq9aTQUAZDpLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTB0ZTgxN3Q0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=portsmouth+tower+blocks&fr2=piv-web&fr=crmas#id=4&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fl7.alamy.com%2Fzooms%2F9ebfa1c648714fe4a1c1c29305cd93ef%2Fadmiralty-tower-portsmouth-e3nrra.jpg&action=click also these in Liverpool https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrJ7B1xu69a8WsAf0pNBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsZ29xY3ZzBHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEc2xrA2J1dHRvbg--;_ylc=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--?gprid=BTuurgVyQsmMEuj.vFPRWA&pvid=TkCtjTEwLjKTuLS4WXOs9A59Mi4yOQAAAAD14a4f&p=Liverpool+tall+buildings&fr=crmas&fr2=sb-top-uk.images.search.yahoo.com&ei=UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt#id=42&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.constructionenquirer.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fovatus-600x414.jpg&action=click

Lets show we can do something different something that will make people look twice. The cheese grater is one of those buildings people love or hate but it got people talking.

New development bingo on the way;

"No one will use it"

"It will block the view of [insert building no ones heard of]"

"No one wants to come to Sheffield so why would they stay in hotel"

"We don't need any more offices"

"Where is all the money coming from"

"We are years behind leeds and manchester - this is nowhere near as good as [insert development in Leeds or Manchester here]"

"Good job for the students as [insert accusation at council here]"

"Too many students"

"Too many foreign students"

"There are 2 trees in that area and I hope they ensure the development caters for keeping them"

I think you have everything covered :)

Guest makapaka
I think you have everything covered :)

I think i've got most of them off the first page of the thread!!