Old HP Laserjet

I have an old HP LaserJet 5p printer which has plenty of life in it . My old comp crashed : it had a socket to suit the 24 pin plug . My new comp does not have this so I bought a USB/socket adaptor : the comp will not have it : any ideas?

When you say "the comp will not have it"?

what do you mean?

- by 'not having it' is it even seeing you plugged a USB device in?

what's it doing?

- or "not doing" as the case may be? is it doing anything at all?

what adaptor did you buy?

- make / model or link to where you bought it :)

what version of windows?

I know what he's talking about... but there are variations in brand/quality etc...

my questions are still valid ;)

I bought the simple connector/adaptor : the comp is telling me that the HP is not connected : there should not be a problem with the cable as far as I can see .

I bought the simple connector/adaptor : the comp is telling me that the HP is not connected : there should not be a problem with the cable as far as I can see .

What version of windows are you using? What version of USB is the adapter being used in?

Having looked at the potential of looking at a similar solution for different reasons, have been advised in the past that you have to be careful as not all usb/Parallel adapters are up to the job. Our computers at work got upgraded and we needed access to a Braille Embosser, connected by parallel cable through a wall to the back of the machine. The solution was a PCI card with Parallel Port - just had to be set up as LPT3 to work. ;)

What version of windows are you using? What version of USB is the adapter being used in?

Windows 10

What version of USB is the adapter being used in? ??

With my old HP LaserJet 4L and preview editions of Windows-10 I used a USB to 36-way IEEE 1284 parallel adaptor similar to the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-cb-cn36-USB-1284-Black-Interface-Black/dp/B00IDU0T1Y/ref=pd_cp_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BV90NX0DBW56YR33AJCP

And amazingly it worked, preview editions of W10 found it as a device and installed the necessary drivers. Alas a couple of years ago some

teeth were lost on a couple of gear wheels and so I sent it to printer heaven. I now have a Samsung M2026W which works wonderfully well for

a £60.00 printer plus another £60.00 for the toner.

Note: adaptor inicated above is just for guidance I did not use that particular adaptor.

Same here, I use all manner of old parallel laser printers in a modern workplace environment and those adapters work fine on Windows 7 and 10.

Windows 10

What version of USB is the adapter being used in? ??

USB1.0 USB2 etc?