Strange memory readings

i have 10gb of ddr3 ram in my pc 2x1gb and 2x4gb but when i check it in my pc its says 14gb usable 9.99gb dosent affect machine so not bothered just curious why its like that

As a general rule memory sticks used in a computer should be of the same Brand, Speed & Size. Mixing different memory sticks can sometimes cause problems, for example

the computer may crash for no apparent reason or give false information about amount of memory installed.

As a general rule memory sticks used in a computer should be of the same Brand, Speed & Size. Mixing different memory sticks can sometimes cause problems, for example

the computer may crash for no apparent reason or give false information about amount of memory installed.

No, different brands and types etc wont make it crash or be unstable... it just means it wont run in dual channel (max possible performance)

It could be on-board graphics, or hardware reserved space etc. Whats the rest of your system? (Cpu, graphics, motherboard if you know it)

No, different brands and types etc wont make it crash or be unstable... it just means it wont run in dual channel (max possible performance)

It could be on-board graphics, or hardware reserved space etc. Whats the rest of your system? (Cpu, graphics, motherboard if you know it)

Amd triple core socket am3 g force 210 graphics motherboard asus m4a78t-e

Edited by Fusion123

Are you saying that you have 10GB installed but its stating that you have 14GB usable and 9.99GB free?

If so its probably because windows normally uses the drive to allocate some virtual memory called a page file. It can be confusing knowing whats what, on my rig I have 16GB memory installed. If I go to task manager it states committed memory is 3.2/18.3GB with 3.8GB cached and 13.3GB available, that's with a page file on the drive of around 2.5GB. As you can see its not quite that straightforward in thinking that what is installed is what you should have to use.

I think I'm right but I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong.. :)

Are you saying that you have 10GB installed but its stating that you have 14GB usable and 9.99GB free?

That's how I read it.

But I've checked several places in Windows that report memory and none of them show more than what I have installed (8Gb).

Maybe the motherboard needs a BIOS update?

i have 10gb of ddr3 ram in my pc 2x1gb and 2x4gb but when i check it in my pc its says 14gb usable 9.99gb dosent affect machine so not bothered just curious why its like that

Where are you looking to see this?

Where are you looking to see this?

Under my pc in device manager

Under my pc in device manager

What operating system are you using?

That's what I would do...without looking I'm not sure memory comes up in device manager...

on the screen that says what cpu etc is in pc