ASDA Walkley - Brave New World

Just don't go to the ASDA on South Road any more. It's become a self-service store & they don't deserve your money. Staff will begrudgingly help if you want cigarettes or alcohol, but otherwise you're completely on your own, as if it was an express store, which it isn't.

Try Gerry's or the Old Bank for bread, the Inner City Farm shop for veg, meat if you eat it & a whole lot besides, & the Animal Rescue shop for pet stuff. Pay a few pence more & get a human being who actually serves you.

Why do you need to be served by someone ?

Why do you need to be served by someone ?

To prevent us becoming automatons, keep alive the art of conversation and to keep people in jobs?

It would be OK if they weren't so short staffed which means every time I buy some prescribed item I have to wait for ages for one of them to finish stacking baskets, or dealing with click and connect orders to come over and verify my age.

What is supposed to be a quick method of service becomes slow and infuriating.

Can't remember the last time I used a checkout that was staffed. Even the last McDonalds I used had self service kiosks like the ones in Argos. You are given a number and wait to be called on a TV.

To prevent us becoming automatons, keep alive the art of conversation and to keep people in jobs?

But the jobs are already gone and it's quicker to self serve.

In my experience conversation is still very much alive and well but sometimes YOU have to initiate it. Those working on tills are often the automatons you speak of.

Regards

Edited by Daven

I avoid that place like the plague. Use to go in quite regularly but there is one woman in there (older lady) who has got the personality of a gnat! No smile, no eye communication, nothing! This isn't a one off where I've gone in and she's maybe had a bad day, she certainly shouldn't be in a customer focused job. She is miserable

I avoid that place like the plague. Use to go in quite regularly but there is one woman in there (older lady) who has got the personality of a gnat! No smile, no eye communication, nothing! This isn't a one off where I've gone in and she's maybe had a bad day, she certainly shouldn't be in a customer focused job. She is miserable

I know the one. The other staff at least apologise when you've been waiting ages or will pass the time of day but she doesn't.

I appreciate it might at times be a demoralising or boring job but everyone else there is pleasant enough. I hate going in there after work because it's usually rammed and under-staffed. I try to get as much as I can as soon as it opens in the morning on the way to work instead. The downside is carrying shopping to and from work....but at least it keeps me fit.

Just work out the total cost in your head as you go along. To "check out" just leave the money on the counter. You've paid. You're not obliged to wave the items at the silly bleepy thing.

But the jobs are already gone and it's quicker to self serve.

In my experience conversation is still very much alive and well but sometimes YOU have to initiate it. Those working on tills are often the automatons you speak of.

Regards

Was going to give you that one Daven, but no, not so easily. If self-service hadn't been introduced, those working the tills would still have jobs and even if that did make them an automaton, only part so, they could still have a bit of a chat! :)

Same in our banks, soul-less places now. As regards initiating conversation, I hardly have to - I'm one of those people who complete strangers tell me their whole life story without me asking!

Sorry, love people, hate machines. Old age has well and truly set in. Regards.

Just work out the total cost in your head as you go along. To "check out" just leave the money on the counter. You've paid. You're not obliged to wave the items at the silly bleepy thing.

What? :confused: leave the money on the counter? Why?

What? :confused: leave the money on the counter? Why?

To avoid sending your blood pressure through the roof by being treated with suspicion by the beepy thing.

As a customer you simply need to pay for the items. You can add it all up yourself - there is no law that says that the beepy thing has to do the adding up.

If you've added it up yourself and you leave the money on the counter then you have done all you need to do.

You haven't stolen anything (and are not required to prove that). It would be pragmatic to make sure that your leaving the money is filmed by the surveillance cameras which no doubt watch over the area.

Edited by Flexo