Big Sheffield switch

Has anyone else seen the leaflet in with the new council tax bills about energy saving?

It invites us to join Sheffield's new collective energy switching scheme and save an average of £150 per year.

Just wondering what others think of such a scheme, worth it or not?

Closing date for registering an interest is 8th April.

That does not mean you are committed to the scheme. Actually joining the scheme will only be after a price is known, so that anyone can compare with their current suppliers' prices.

We got one through the post today, I can't work out if its genuine or some sort of scam like a Groupon for electric.

I've found the people running it are I think Dutch:

http://www.ichoosr.com/en/, yes also mentioned in the article above.

it may well be genuine....this thing where a group of consumers barter with the energy companies was started last year (or the year before) by 38 degrees and which in collaboration.......in that instance some of the big energy companies refused to co-operate. and the 'winner' ended up being the co op because it offered the lowest tariff. (I signed up for that negotiation).

Since then I've heard that various other organisations / councils are trying the same.

Its about time consumers started calling the shots more with these big boys :)

---------- Post added 15-03-2013 at 22:25 ----------

Interesting article on this link

http://www.energylinx.co.uk/news/2013/01/abondon-this-collective-purchasing-schem.html

Note: I do not have any interest in the success or failure of these schemes, it would be nice

if someone could show where a community has signed up have made definite savings.

and the link you gave is the magazine of the energy suppliers-could explain why they are so against collective bargaining :suspect:

Havnt heard of this myself but will go take a look....

it may well be genuine....this thing where a group of consumers barter with the energy companies was started last year (or the year before) by 38 degrees and which in collaboration.......in that instance some of the big energy companies refused to co-operate. and the 'winner' ended up being the co op because it offered the lowest tariff. (I signed up for that negotiation).

Since then I've heard that various other organisations / councils are trying the same.

Its about time consumers started calling the shots more with these big boys :)

---------- Post added 15-03-2013 at 22:25 ----------

and the link you gave is the magazine of the energy suppliers-could explain why they are so against collective bargaining :suspect:

the article seemed impartial to me. basically it says that there were better offers than the collective came up with(although people saved money but they could have saved more).

I think its a great idea and will sign up but I wouldn't assume i was getting the best deal out there without doing my own research.

I registered my interest, there's nothing to be lost and possibly something to gain if the savings are worthwhile. You don't have to commit to the scheme at this stage so why not register?

I registered my interest, there's nothing to be lost and possibly something to gain if the savings are worthwhile. You don't have to commit to the scheme at this stage so why not register?

Worth a try. Nothing to lose as you say. Over 20,000 now registered.

Has anyone else seen the leaflet in with the new council tax bills about energy saving?

It invites us to join Sheffield's new collective energy switching scheme and save an average of £150 per year.

Just wondering what others think of such a scheme, worth it or not?

I saved a lot of money by switching to Co-op Energy - one simple tariff, no tricks, helpful ENGLISH people on the phone if you ring them - not someone on the other side of the world with an accent to thick you can't understand them.

And cheaper.

http://www.cooperativeenergy.coop/