Dublin, Sheffield, Stockholm

It's an awful lot cheaper than Dublin but a lot less going on culturally. Nice, friendly people and great countryside very close by. Sheffield is scruffy and not a beautiful city by any measure, although it does feel quite open in a way that is a little similar to Stockholm, but because it's on hills instead of islands.

I notice no-one from Stockholm has got anything to see on the matter - typical smug up themselves Swedes....

I would have thought that Sheffield Forum was de rigour and incredibly popular amongst the elite and inteligentsia of Stockholm, and a consant source for high minded debate in the coffee houses and salons, even though it's obviously not popular amongst the elite and intelligentsia of Sheffield {Or the thickos for that matter}

Edited by mickyboy

It's an awful lot cheaper than Dublin but a lot less going on culturally. Nice, friendly people and great countryside very close by. Sheffield is scruffy and not a beautiful city by any measure, although it does feel quite open in a way that is a little similar to Stockholm, but because it's on hills instead of islands.

I have no idea about what goes on culturally in Stockholm but I do think Sheffield has much more going on than many people realise. You have to go and find things, they don;t always come to you. Sheffield has a problem with litter but is generally quite pleasant and I certainly wouldn't describe it as scruffy.

In answer to Gus, I see no reason why you wouldn't have a good time here. I did have a friend, from Germany, live here for 2 years and he did struggle to make friends but shout up and I can point you in the directions of tons of good activities and groups.

Just be ready to be walking up and down hills, having been to Stockholm and Dublin myself in the past you might be in for a shock.

I recently moved to Sheffield myself and although i've moved as a student I do think it is easy to make friends and meet people. If you like a good night life and can cope with a mixture of students and professionals then I think you will find it easy to make new friends.

Sheffield is the perfect location if you are looking for somewhere to balance work life with personal wellbeing, it's very easy to escape the city vibes for the peak district in a matter of minutes!

A lot more going on than you think. Sheffield has a thriving and quirky sub-culture, but you have to hunt it out. That's half the fun.

A lot more going on than you think. Sheffield has a thriving and quirky sub-culture, but you have to hunt it out. That's half the fun.

Yes, and that's fine if that's what you want to do, but not everyone has the time to do that. I would guess from the OP that this is not some gentle part-time job but a busy one for a multi-national. They may not have time to be hunting out the DIY culture in Sheffield, good though that is. We don't have nearly enough good gallery space and it's great if you like up-and-coming bands (Picture House Social and Audacious Art Experiment are great venues for those) but if you want to see anyone who draws more than 200 people you'll probably have to go to Leeds or Manchester.