Impact of Austerity

I agree that if you have a roof over your head, food on the table and enough money to pay bills, then you are doing OK by many standards.

Buts lets not forget Asia is rich in resources and has some of the richest people in the world, (India has one of the highest number of milionaires per capita I believe,)

No it doesn't.

Seriously do you just make stuff up to support your point these days?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/countries-with-most-millionaires-2017-4/#2-japan-17

http://uk.businessinsider.com/world-wealth-report-countries-with-the-most-millionaires-2016-6

According to the world wealth report, India was ranked 12th for millionaires which is not bad out of 150+ countries.

So no, not making it up at all.

---------- Post added 21-03-2018 at 22:40 ----------

No it doesn't.

Seriously do you just make stuff up to support your point these days?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/countries-with-most-millionaires-2017-4/#2-japan-17

So, would you like to address any of the actual points relating to the impact of austerity..... No, thought not.

Edited by Anna B

http://uk.businessinsider.com/world-wealth-report-countries-with-the-most-millionaires-2016-6

According to the world wealth report, India was ranked 12th for millionaires which is not bad out of 150+ countries.

So no, not making it up at all.

Hmm I wouldn’t trust either of yours or Obelix’s statistics without verification from another source. Both are from the same website however have widely different figures between 2016 and 2017, which doesn’t seem feasible to me. Did South Korean really nearly quadruple the number of millionaires within one year, for example..

Edited by Robin-H

For over 40 years, people in this country have been lectured to about the need to live within their means.

No, they have been encouraged to get into debt with easy credit while at the same time being conned to get on the housing ladder with a mortgage.

Hmm I wouldn’t trust either of yours or Obelix’s statistics without verification from another source. Both are from the same website however have widely different figures between 2016 and 2017, which doesn’t seem feasible to me. Did South Korean really nearly quadruple the number of millionaires within one year, for example..

Lies, damn lies and statistics...

I think the fact that India is both a nuclear power and has a flourishing space program suggests that it has enough money to do more for its poor and hungry. That's the point.

No, they have been encouraged to get into debt with easy credit while at the same time being conned to get on the housing ladder with a mortgage.

Actually that's a fair enough point. Figures show that personal debt is sky high. Having said that I'm sure you've heard the lectures from politicians about government debt being the same as household debt (which of course it isn't).

Lies, damn lies and statistics...

I think the fact that India is both a nuclear power and has a flourishing space program suggests that it has enough money to do more for its poor and hungry. That's the point.

So you agree that we should stop giving aid to India? Or do the hundreds of millions of poor deserve our aid when even so, as you say, they have ‘enough money for its poor and hungry’.

---------- Post added 21-03-2018 at 23:09 ----------

It's not a good post. It's an apologists view of austerity.

Jumping on a goverment backed inspection of a council to excuse cuts which decimating services and making peoples lives harder.

Were NCC incompetent - I can't be bothered to check - does it excuse the current austerity strategy - absolutely not.

So it’s a poor post because you couldn’t be bothered to read the report?

It was an independent inspection. You can dismiss it for any reason you like, but it doesn’t make those reasons legitimate.

Whether or not the austerity programme can be excused is an entirely different question. The accusation was that NCC ran out of money because of austerity, which is not true.

It's not a good post. It's an apologists view of austerity.

Jumping on a goverment backed inspection of a council to excuse cuts which decimating services and making peoples lives harder.

Were NCC incompetent - I can't be bothered to check - does it excuse the current austerity strategy - absolutely not.

"cant be bothered to check" Says hell of a lot and covers most of your posts on this forum

What a load of dramatic nonsense. NCC hasn't collapsed. It has simply put a ban on new spending while it addresses a £34m budget shortfall, hardly a huge amount for an organisation with a budget in the hundred of millions, and one easily rectified by a hike in council tax.

Not quite. The budget shortfall is getting worse and is expected to be about double within 3 years. Also, NCC has effectively filed for bankruptcy, the first English local authority to do so for a long time - that really isn't trivial. It's an interesting dilemma for Tory HQ - either the massive cuts to council budgets have pushed NCC under, or the most incompetently financially managed council in England is Tory-run. Take your pick, I guess.

Guest makapaka
"cant be bothered to check" Says hell of a lot and covers most of your posts on this forum

No it’s just irrelevant in terms of the overall argument of austerity measures.

Robin H saying austerity is a different question - the thread is entitled “impact of austerity” !!!

So you agree that we should stop giving aid to India? Or do the hundreds of millions of poor deserve our aid when even so, as you say, they have ‘enough money for its poor and hungry’.

]

I think there's a lot more behing the Aid budget than we know about.

It doesn't make sense, unless it's seen simply as 'Grandstanding,' which we frankly can't afford. We have been giving aid to poor countries for years yet it never seems to make much difference because it gets into the wrong hands. However the Chinese seem to have got involved in aid projects and theirs seem to be bearing fruit, in a relatively short time.

No it’s just irrelevant in terms of the overall argument of austerity measures.

Robin H saying austerity is a different question - the thread is entitled “impact of austerity” !!!

It's a different question to the one posted in the opening post, which was whether austerity caused the NCC to run out on money. The conclusions of the inspector's report was that it was not due to austerity.