UK driving licences, post Brexit.

I agree - I'm moving to live in France soon and have no reason to think my UK licence will suddenly become invalid.

In our region there are loads of Americans, Australians, Swiss, Brits and numerous others all using licences issued in their "home" country.

Word of advice, if you're moving there before March 2019: register your license with the authorities (local Préfecture) formally as soon as you arrive. Should keep your life reasonably simple (on that front at least) post-Brexit.

I don't know, did they have one? Oh hang on, it was to leave the EU wasn't it!

What does "leave" mean 'cos to me it looks like we're still going to be bound by some EU rules..is that what you voted for?

What does "leave" mean 'cos to me it looks like we're still going to be bound by some EU rules..is that what you voted for?

Try posting in the appropriate thread as this one is about UK driving licenses.;)

Word of advice, if you're moving there before March 2019: register your license with the authorities (local Préfecture) formally as soon as you arrive. Should keep your life reasonably simple (on that front at least) post-Brexit.

Thanks for that - will put it on the to do list for the first couple of weeks - along with getting my car registered and insured.

I voted leave. Out means OUT , no half measures, no deals, no concessions , no negotiations , just walk away and wave goodbye .

I want to pull up the drawbridge and go on our own. I want nothing to do with the EU every again.

I voted leave. Out means OUT , no half measures, no deals, no concessions , no negotiations , just walk away and wave goodbye .

I want to pull up the drawbridge and go on our own. I want nothing to do with the EU every again.

I reckon you'll be disappointed then..

Thanks for that - will put it on the to do list for the first couple of weeks - along with getting my car registered and insured.
Before that, if you're taking a RHD over and re-registering it locally (mandatory within 6m if you're going to be a resident), check the price of LHD headlights and fitting them, in UK relative to there. You might be surprised. I was quoted €1k in Luxembourg to get it done on a 10 year old Merc, when 3rd party headlights are sub-£90 brand new.

Plus changing the rear foglight to the left side (if your RHD has it on the right - should have). That last one could be as simple as swapping the bulb over...or as complex as needing a car manufacturer-specific computer system to program it.

Depending on French regs, you might also need the original certificate of conformity as well: check that you have it (should be included in original car paperwork), as that can be expensive and a bit lengthy to get hold of otherwise.

Edited by L00b