HDD to SSD upgrade - amazing results

Just wanted to let people know how much difference an SSD upgrade can make - I just brought an old Mac Mini back from the dead with a £34 SSD and about an hours work.

With the original HDD it was practically useless - apps took 20/30/40 seconds to load, browsing was awful, watching video was a no no.

Now, with the new SSD its amazing - apps open instantly - browsing is fluid - everything just 'works'.

If you've got an old machine and it will take it, I 100% recommend updating to an SSD or getting someone to do it for you.

Just wanted to let people know how much difference an SSD upgrade can make - I just brought an old Mac Mini back from the dead with a £34 SSD and about an hours work.

With the original HDD it was practically useless - apps took 20/30/40 seconds to load, browsing was awful, watching video was a no no.

Now, with the new SSD its amazing - apps open instantly - browsing is fluid - everything just 'works'.

If you've got an old machine and it will take it, I 100% recommend updating to an SSD or getting someone to do it for you.

It can make a huge difference, perhaps even more noticeable on older laptops (as many are fitted with slower 5400rpm drives).

As you mentioned a Mac, do you know about trimforce?

It's the 2nd thing on my list whenever I'm repairing a Laptop/PC

1. Is there enough memory (RAM)

2. Does it have an SSD

3. When was the last time it was factory reset

I'll always do all three of these on EVERY one I repair. At £30 ish people are amazed by the results

Welcome to 10 years ago :D Just kidding, but yes, for me it's the first question I ask when someone says their machine is slow. And I'd never ever recommend buying a PC with a normal HDD as primary unless price really is the main concern.

Welcome to 10 years ago :D Just kidding, but yes, for me it's the first question I ask when someone says their machine is slow. And I'd never ever recommend buying a PC with a normal HDD as primary unless price really is the main concern.

I've had a SSD as a dedicated system drive for a while now.

I also use a hybrid drive for my file storage. Combines the large storage option with the speed (mostly) of a SSD. The drive has a small SSD (8GB) which learns and caches all the frequently used files for SSD performance

Best upgrade I ever spent money on was £50 on a 250GB SSD (pre-Brexit prices, naturally)

My computer, which at the time, took 2 minutes to boot up and 1 minute to login using a hard disk drive, now takes under 20 seconds to boot, and less than 10 seconds to login.

That’s 180 seconds previously, down to less time than it took to read this post.

I have inherited an iMac (I think it’s a 2012 model, Core i5, 4 RAM slots and I’d like somebody to replace the hard disk with an SSD. Can anybody local fit it? I think you need suction cups just to get the screen off . . . I’ll supply the SSD, I just need someone to swap out the hard drive.

Yeah it's a much better upgrade than sticking more ram in.