Totley in the 50s and 60s

I,m sure there must be plenty on this forum who grew up in Totley during this period. I would particularly like to hear the recollections of those, like me, who lived in a prefab on Green Oak Estate and/or attended Totley County School in the 50s

I came to live in Totley Sept 1960 when it was a quieter place to live, more "countryfied" the back lane was a country lane with a farmers barn, cows grazing on a meadow and pigs in a sty, its amazing how much land has been re-developed and built upon, it feels quite crowded now.

Hi sharrowvian. Do you mean the back lane on Totley Rise? I remember it as you describe it. Not been back for a while so no idea what it's like now. Do you remember Springs sweet shop and Bonners newsagents?

My Aunt Lizzie (Wren) used to live on Totley Rise, in the late 40"s and early 50's, I used to go to stay with her in the school holidays, my cousins and I used to play on the lane behind Aunt Lizzies house. I lived on Princess Street, Norfolk Bridge and so never saw a blade of grass or a tree unless we caught a tram somewhere, my trips to Totley were a wonderful treat.

Edited by rainbow2411

Hi Dreb48 and Rainbow2411. Yes I was referring to the back lane at Totley Rise, I well remember Mrs Springs sweetshop which was a popular port of call on a Sunday afternoon with my kids and John Bonners newsagents which later became Peter Swifts and then much later moved to the shop at the top of the rise which used to be Grattons and is still there. My wife and I well remember Mrs Wren (nice lady) who worked for a lengthy spell at Peter Swifts newsagents and Dawn Wren who worked at the same firm as us for a while. Totley shops like many others have suffered with coming of the supermarkets, we have lost all our butchers, Busy Bee hardware and Peter Casson electricians. I remember the prefabs and the consternation that arose when they were demolished. The college also was demolished some said it was an eyesore but it provided many a household with needy employment. These reflections can make you feel quite melancholy.

When we came in 1976 there were 4 butchers shops, three fruit and veg shops, two general grocers/off licence's, not counting the Co-op and Lateshopper, a fishmongers, two post offices and three news agents.

When we came in 1976 there were 4 butchers shops, three fruit and veg shops, two general grocers/off licence's, not counting the Co-op and Lateshopper, a fishmongers, two post offices and three news agents.

Two of those butchers made their own pies and one brewed his own beer and cider:he told us he put bones in the cider to promote fermentation.He also ran his own private cinema on Sunday afternoons at the Conservative Club.Appropriately they were of a blue hue but were of interest to all members red and blue!

Thanks everyone. Lived there before Baslow Rd was widened at Totley Rise. Went to primary school with Mrs Springs son Adrian. Remember Grattons well. Spent most of my youth at nights sat on the bench by the bus stop which was then next to Marstone Garage. Bought my first Dinkys from John Bonner but later worked as a paperboy at Westleys which was near the Co-op near Green Oak. Remember Mr Perkington from Totley PO delivering papers on his bike with a panier basket on the front

I forgot to say, Bud Rawlings is still terrorising all and sundry. :hihi:

He must be nearly 70. Am sure Bud played in the notorious 20 a side football matches in Green Oak Rec on Sunday afternoons

He must be nearly 70. Am sure Bud played in the notorious 20 a side football matches in Green Oak Rec on Sunday afternoons

He's well turned 70, his brother Ken never seems to age. You know when you are getting older when you can remember Bud working (OK going in) for Bernard Proctor, he eventually had to have that green Honda anorak amputated. :hihi:

Sorry Crookesy it may be their Ken I'm thinking of. Dennis Drury, who lives near me now was a stalwart of those times