Old Stannington

Very brief you nostalgia buffs, any old Stannington peeps remember the Spiders Web ?? Plz somebody say yeah

Don't know my father was brought up in one of the row of cottages at the top of Hollins lane before all the houses was put up (that's a bit of old Stannington).

Don't know my father was brought up in one of the row of cottages at the top of Hollins lane before all the houses was put up (that's a bit of old Stannington).

DONT THINK THATS QUITE STANNINGTON

Hope this isn't going to turn into yet another ' where does Stannington start' thread !

ps., what was the Spiders Web ?

Hope this isn't going to turn into yet another ' where does Stannington start' thread !

ps., what was the Spiders Web ?

hopefully :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Sadly Stannington doesn't start anymore.

It has "mingled" to become part of shefield.

As a child I remember stanningtom road suddenly devoid of housing after Roscoe Bank until you reached Stannington.

It in't the same place anymore..the old traditions have long gone. The local Christmas Carol singing in the pubs doesn't happen as before. It was a once a mustn't miss event.

It is no longer a village...........

DONT THINK THATS QUITE STANNINGTON

Well it was classed as Stannington at the turn of the 1900 probably before your time and the council built there houses there:huh:

Sadly Stannington doesn't start anymore.

It has "mingled" to become part of shefield.

As a child I remember stanningtom road suddenly devoid of housing after Roscoe Bank until you reached Stannington.

It in't the same place anymore..the old traditions have long gone. The local Christmas Carol singing in the pubs doesn't happen as before. It was a once a mustn't miss event.

It is no longer a village...........

Hi,

Does anybody remember the Vicar of Stannington in the 1950's and early 60's? He was an extremely colourful character called, I think, Stebbins?

Regards

Hi,

Does anybody remember the Vicar of Stannington in the 1950's and early 60's? He was an extremely colourful character called, I think, Stebbins?

Regards

I've heard many a tale of Stebbins from my fathers recollections of "the good old days".

Stebbins I understand would frequent the local pubs to join in with the tradition of "local tune" carol singing at Christmas.

He would stand (in fathers words) with his arse to the fire so no other bugger could feel it, and conduct the proceedings with the use of the poker.

Reference The 'spiders Web' This Was A Kind Of Roundabout In The Park @ Top Of Villiage,we Called It So Because Unlike Most Of The Traditional Park Roundabouts This One Had A Tall Cental Pole And Then There Was A Mesh Of Metal Framework That Ran Off This To Which Was Affixed A Wooden Seating Around Its Circumfrence, If You Can Understand That ??? But It Had The The Appearance Of A Spiders Web, Well At Least All Us Kids At The Time Thought So !!!!

Very brief you nostalgia buffs, any old Stannington peeps remember the Spiders Web ?? Plz somebody say yeah

I remember the spiders web - although I don't recall it being called that at the time! I remember the whole think being rocked from side to side by the 'big boys' and being flung off causing injuries from which I still have the scars !

As for the Reverend Francis Augustine Stebbing, he was vicar at Christ Church Stannington from 1916 to 1963 and was, as has already been said, well known in the local pubs.