Organic Food Is It Worth It ??

have been walking round the supermarket today and noticed ever increasing ammounts of ORGANIC foods. on closer investigation the only difference i could see was it cost more. IS it really worth it ??:confused:

no, it's not

No, it's not.

If the prices were significantly lower, then I'd buy organic in preference to non-organic fruit and veg. Til then, I'll settle for giving them a good scrub and/or peeling them before I eat them.

I always try and buy organic chicken, carrots, mushrooms and Bananas. Also organic milk on the odd occasion I use it. Also brown Rice and eggs and come to think about it quite a few other things!

Non organic Banana's are grown in terrible conditions for the work force with really nasty chemicals. Organic chickens have a much better life, carrots taste better and don't need peeling and most of the vitamins are in the skins. Mushrooms for similar reasons to carrots.

The definition of 'worth it' I guess varies from person to person. When I think how much money I generally waste on stuff then the extra cost for organic food is negligible.

I liked the woman on river cottage who bought the cheapest crap and fed it to her kids saying she could not afford an organic chicken whilst sat smoking a fag at over five quid a pack!

Organic food's green image is something of a hoax - were the world to live off organic food we would need three times as much farmland as we have now, so that the crop rotation and lying fallow organic production requires could happen. That's a lot of rainforest to be cleared...

That's a spurious argument though, if the EU did not subsidise thousands of farmers to grow certain foods which we don't need to grow whcih get s thrown away. If people stopped eating so many nasty fast food burgers then we would need less land for cattle. Etc etc etc.

Have you got any links to back that statement up?

have been walking round the supermarket today and noticed ever increasing ammounts of ORGANIC foods. on closer investigation the only difference i could see was it cost more. IS it really worth it ??:confused:

Obviously it depends on several things. Not least of which are how much money you've got and whether or not you care what you put into your body.

Are there any legal requirements to labelling food 'organic' in supermarkets?

this story suggests that restaurants have been getting away with calling their food 'organic' just so they can charge more.

No, it's not.

If the prices were significantly lower, then I'd buy organic in preference to non-organic fruit and veg. Til then, I'll settle for giving them a good scrub and/or peeling them before I eat them.

This is a good way to avoid the myriad petrochemcials that come as standard with non-organic food, until you come to something like lettuce, spinach, for example. But I suppose you could always not eat it :D

Also, as some of the treatments are systemic, they are inside the food as well as outside of it. If food is grown in soils that have been treated with chemicals for years, even if the crops are not sprayed/treated, the chemicals will grow into the food anyway.

I'd rather pay the extra money now than pay with my health later in life.

Organic food is more expensive than non-organic food as the harvests are smaller and the methods of cultivation are more labour intensive. You have to admit that organic food has come down in price since it first arrived on the market, with some foods costing exactly the same.

My view is that organic food is not a privilege, it is a right.