How many Expats would move back to Sheffield

There’s always a downside, but the Mighty Mariners is a bit too much for me. :hihi:

The black and white striped Blundell Park team only play from August till May (lest qualifying for a for a European competition), so plenty of summer time left to enjoy the Humber estuary and perhaps the world's best fish and chips.

---------- Post added 28-06-2018 at 21:36 ----------

The black and white striped Blundell Park team only play from August till May (lest qualifying for a for a European competition), so plenty of summer time left to enjoy the Humber estuary and perhaps the world's best fish and chips with Lincolnshire peas.
Edited by St Petre
add

There’s always a downside, but the Mighty Mariners is a bit too much for me. :hihi:

Lincolnshire is a lot like Holland, flat as a pancake. I worked in Scunthorpe for a short time in the early 70s and it seemed like everybody rode a bicycle, never seen so many bikes on the road at rush hour, in the age of the car, anywhere else in the UK.

Lincolnshire is a lot like Holland, flat as a pancake. I worked in Scunthorpe for a short time in the early 70s and it seemed like everybody rode a bicycle, never seen so many bikes on the road at rush hour, in the age of the car, anywhere else in the UK.

Plenty of hills in the Lincolnshire wolds, its a beautiful area. Louth is a lovely town and boasts many resident celebrities these days.

I was once stood outside the Van Smirren factory in Boston Lincs at knocking off time I have never seen so many push bikes

Very happy at Stocksbridge, been here 42 years, would only move back if desperate.

After my original post March 2008 asking the question "How many Expats would move back to Sheffield" It would seem that the reply,s seem to indicate that people remember Sheffield as it was in the 50's/60's and the 70's and are not happy with the way the town is now.

I have returned every 2/3 years from the 1980's and saw the decline in the markets inc the indoor/Fish Market and back in 2008 it was a joke.

I returned again this year in April to the City Center and it was a dump not what I expected so I thought it might be me.

So I went to Doncaster ,Leeds and Chesterfield to see if those Towns had changed, yes their was shops empty/changed locations but they had their Markets and a vibrant Town Center.

I am born bread Sheffield and will always be proud of that, but would never go back there what has gone wrong to the City I love and was once called the Capital of Yorkshire?:loopy::help:

I live on the "Costa Del Sol" and went back a couple of years to the mighty Blades gain promotion to the Championship and to catch up with family who still live in Sheffield.

I stayed in the Copthorne Hotel on Bramall Lane and walked around the city centre, I was amazed at how much it had changes and with so much building going on.

It did tug at my heart strings a bit but common sense rules so no I would never go back to live there, I do hope to do another visit in the coming year to sea how all the renovations in the city centre are coming on, it looked to me as though it could be an exiting place to live, work and raise a family (a family of Blades supporters), but in retirement you need somewhere better - and with sun! which is what we have here in Spain.

I live on the "Costa Del Sol" and went back a couple of years to the mighty Blades gain promotion to the Championship and to catch up with family who still live in Sheffield.

I stayed in the Copthorne Hotel on Bramall Lane and walked around the city centre, I was amazed at how much it had changes and with so much building going on.

It did tug at my heart strings a bit but common sense rules so no I would never go back to live there, I do hope to do another visit in the coming year to sea how all the renovations in the city centre are coming on, it looked to me as though it could be an exiting place to live, work and raise a family (a family of Blades supporters), but in retirement you need somewhere better - and with sun! which is what we have here in Spain.

They seem to have run down what used to be the markets end and have spent loads around the moor. I`ve lived in sheffield all my life and have seen it change beyond recognition

I left Sheffield 25 years ago. Lived in Spain for 12 years, loved it but changed a lot over the years and became overbuilt. Moved back to Surrey as some family including Grandchildren there. Now living more rural on the South Downs close to Arundel, I can see the castle across the fields and be on the coast in 20 minutes.

I was in Sheffield last week, only the second time since leaving. Traffic seemed horrendous and city centre disorganised, most people were speaking other languages. I realised how much I have changed as everyone I know still seems to be in a time warp, like stuck in the eighties. I have many happy memories of Sheffield but wouldn't want to return. Although I wouldn't want to live in any City again, I like village life.