Camper Van OR Caravan

Getting On abit now so thinking of Buying a Caravan Or CamperVan , ive stayed a number of times in Caravans the big type 6/8 man ones static ,

however ive never drove with a caravan on tow or drove a camper van so whats best to Buy - plus or bad points welcome please

I am thinking of doing my own camper van conversion - just not sure of the size yet.

If you had a camper van would you have a car as well or manage with the just the van? If just a van then you need to think about its size and where you drive/park. If its a caravan then you need a car heavy enough to tow it and powerful enough to pull it. There are gadgets to enable you to manouvere caravans without too much physical effort.

Have you tried renting a camper van for a week as a trial?

Some housing estates have clauses concerning caravans being parked over winter whereas camper vans are not restricted

camper vans are great and I would use all the time

Having owned both you must first ask yourself what you want to do with it.

If you like to tour, move sites often, have days out, camp wild (ie not on official £££ campsites) then a campervan is ideal.

Negatives are. If you are on a site and need “milk, a paper etc and the camp shop is shut you have to up sticks and take everything with you. (Unlike if you have a car and a wobblebox)

Finding suitable parking in some towns and villages can be a pain.

Large vans can also be a pain on narrow roads. (but if a delivery van or farm vehicle can get there so can you)

It could be too big for everyday use so you still need a car for shopping, hospital, visiting etc.

There is generally more space inside a caravan for the equivalent sized campervan.

Campervans are an expensive outlay but they tend to hold their price.

Caravan.

Once you’re on a site you have the freedom of the car to explore the area

You can mix and match car and caravan more easily, up or down grading if your preferences change.

There are plenty of cheap caravans out there to start with to test the water without too much outlay.

You need a car of suitable size, as stated before. Somewhere to store the van. Official campsites are your only real option for holidays.

A campervan holiday starts as soon as you set off. With a caravan you realistically must get straight to the site before starting to enjoy.

Driving a camper is easier than towing a caravan for a lot of people (not all obviously).

Just a few thoughts, there will be many more from others I’m sure.

Personally I am now enjoying the freedom of four wheels as opposed to six (or eight).

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to look for a campervan?

I'm considering one, but it's going to be a lot of consideration at the moment and I'd just like to get more idea of what's out there...

It would be one of the small van size, like a Transporter, Transit, Hiace (i.e. with the wheelbase dimensions of a large car) rather than a big motorhome.

Definitely not interested in a caravan :-)

Take a look at the link below.

https://igmaynard.co.uk

We had one for a few years and it was great, drives like a car but large

enough for camping. Plenty around but the prices have gone up.

Guest sibon

I'm considering one, but it's going to be a lot of consideration at the moment and I'd just like to get more idea of what's out there...

It would be one of the small van size, like a Transporter, Transit, Hiace (i.e. with the wheelbase dimensions of a large car) rather than a big motorhome.

I've just hired a Mazda Bongo from this place for a couple of weeks in October. If I like it, I'm going to buy one. I've a couple of suppliers in mind including the van hire place and Dore Garage, who will both do the conversion for you.

I'll let you know how I get on.:)

ETA: Great minds eh, Hagrid :)

Have you seen the tiny caravans about the same size as a campervan? I can't remember who makes them. I don't think they have bathrooms. I only suggest this as you can unhook it and use your ordinary car. They can go down small lanes that caravans can't.

Edit - Eriba do tiny caravans the size of campers. I think the model is called Touring

https://www.eriba.com/en/

Edited by Chez2

Have you seen the tiny caravans about the same size as a campervan? I can't remember who makes them. I don't think they have bathrooms. I only suggest this as you can unhook it and use your ordinary car. They can go down small lanes that caravans can't.

Edit - Eriba do tiny caravans the size of campers. I think the model is called Touring

https://www.eriba.com/en/

Hmm. I only have a Corsa, but I'll take a look! Thanks :)

I have had both a camper and a tourer, I prefer the tourer.

With the campervan you have tax test insurance to consider as with any other motor vehicle and unless you use it for most of the year (which I didn't) it will just sit on the drive wasting money

With the tourer you may be able to store it at home or in a storage yard (from around £200 per year) and it will need a annual gas safety check etc.

just a few more things for you to consider...hope everything goes well