Garden Pond Megathread All Garden Pond Threads Here

I have a well established garden pond with one ancient gold fish. I have an abundance of frogs but would like newts and stickleback also. Any ideas where I could go in Sheff and whether this would be illegal.

I think sticklebacks eat newts eggs. You could try the butterfly house and ask them for advice

We have a male newt called Nigel and a female newt called Nigela :hihi: we didn't put them there, they just appeared and keep coming back :) our neighbours have a fairly established garden pond though, so they may have come forom there. Never seen newts in the shop :huh:

The Peaks Garden centre sells newts etc so Im sure they will be able to help you x

My ex has a well established pond,7 goldfish which bred last year, 2 of the fry survived, loads of newts, frogs, 2 toads last year. We did get some sticklebacks but they didnt survive long. During the warm summer evenings theres some big red and blue dragon flies that buzz around.

You may have newts already but never seen them? Just a thought.

yes but the lions, tigers and zebras might drown

errrrrrrrm

*gets coat*

Does anyone know where I might be able to get sticklebacks from and whether I could keep these with cloud minnows? Thanks

lol i forgot about this thread...was just gonna do the joke.........looks like ive already done it :P

*gets coat*

ived got a natural pond, didnt buy anything for it and its full of newts, frogs, not seen a toad yet though...

i put 5 gold fish in 2 years ago, and there still in there and i never feed them!

im in need of info aswell, need some more fish for the pond to help keep it under control, the amount of plant life is unreal lol does my head in sometimes

Not entirely sure but aren't newts a protected species?

doesnt treeton dyke still have sticklebacks?

is treeton dyke still there? lol

prolly over 20 years since i last went there

some garden centres sell sticklebacks this is a good place to try as they stock british native pond fish that would do well in your wildlife pond

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j159/butiaboy/koi1.jpg

but don't buy a pike LoL

you might find this useful

http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/htm/pond/pond_pages.htm