Tomato growing this year

Hi all tomato growers in our area, how are they this season? Mine are very good,have raced forward due to all the sunshine. My crop of outdoor toms are probably the best ever for the time of the year. F1 Suncherry Premium doing great. Not fed any yet as they are in superb compost again. Looking forward to the showing season. Good luck to everyone

An update, picking tomatoes every day now most of them are outside and loving this weather, quality not perfect but the best tomatoes are always best from the sixth truss onwards

Edited by barry-333
update

I have tomato plants that have become huge and produced lots of tomatoes - problem is, most of them are still totally green. Only a couple have ever ripened?

Is it normal to take many weeks, or has something gone wrong?

Now is about the time for your toms to begin turning red.

Pinch out the growing tips on the plant when there are about five trusses (unless they are the bush /tumbling type).

Apply feed and you will soon have plenty of lovely red ones.

I have tomato plants that have become huge and produced lots of tomatoes - problem is, most of them are still totally green. Only a couple have ever ripened?

Silly answer....but are they in a sunny spot, this beautiful sunshine should do the trick.

Last year I took my first tomatoes off on the 24th August (I like to keep records), this year I planted them at roughly the same time and it looks like some of them could be turning soon. I cannot understand why my yields are down, I grow them as I always have and feed them the same feed as usual. I have the same type of plants and roughly the same number. Now cucumbers, this year I had nine off before the date I had my first one last year, and more keep growing.

Tomatoes cannot be ripened to order, careful watering and feeding is the rule. I have had some ripe this week (Alicante) Shading from the hottest sun is needed and putting a mulch to protect the growing medium helps

When you are happy with the amount and size cut down on the watering and they will ripen OK also take the top out to stop them growing anymore

Thanks folks I'll have a look at the suggestions later!

I used to put banana skins near the bottom of the plants, they are supposed to give off a gas that helps ripen the tomatoes.

Well after the advice I spread the plants out as much as poss and chopped the growing tops off as there were plenty of tomatoes and not really any room for further growth!

They're ripening great now so we're getting plenty off the plants, enough for us and family too!

My OH who actually likes raw tomatoes says they are lovely :)

I’m drowning in tomatoes. The brilliant weather has really helped. All of my outdoor ones are ripened and harvested now I’ve still got plenty in the greenhouse and in the poly tunnel. I’ll be spending this afternoon making tomato sauce and apple and tomato chutney to try to use up the mountain of fruit that I’ve grown.

Then it is stuffed tomatoes for tea:)

Likewise, although only 3 of the ones in the greenhouse have ripened, the ones in the garden are plentiful, but still green. Trying to avoid blight on them, the short sharp heavy showers are helping.

Butternut squash gone bonkers though.

I’ve given up growing butternut squash because they are so unpredictable.

I grow Red Kuri and Crown Prince. The Crown Prince are my faves.