Getting rid of Mares tail weeds.

Does anyone know of a way of getting rid of mares tail, I have tried different weedkillers to no avail. I have strimmed it then put weed killer on so that it can get into the cut weeds but still it comes back. I read that putting washing up liquid in with the weed killer can help as it sticks to the weed but it didn't work. Last year I cleared my gravel and took up the plastic sheeting as there was that much around the edge and it was like a road map underneath. It came up easily and I ended with a bag full of the stuff but has now come back. I saw one advert for some weed killer which was almost £30 for half a litre, a lot of money to spend if it doesn't do the job.

I bought mares tail specific weed killer which killed it off initially but it still kept coming.

My recommendation would be just to keep pulling it eventually it will exhaust itself and

become manageable. I did the same with bind weed and now just take it out as it appears.

A good tip for bindweed is to put canes at the side of shoots and put a bottle over the cane allowing the bindweed to fill the bottle then glyphospate inside the bottle thereby avoiding overspray

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything that will kill it off. As the previous post says you can weaken it but you'll never be rid of it. You just need to try and keep on top of it and keep it to a minimum.

I have read that it's one of the first plants to grow back after a volcanic eruption!

---------- Post added 02-06-2018 at 23:17 ----------

Also just wanted to mention never put it on a compost pile. Best to keep it separately from other weeds and then burn it.

Moved the gravel today and pulled the plastic back and was like a road network under it. It had come through the black weed control and sneaked out to the sides. Good job there was thick black plastic on top or would have been everywhere.

We have used this from Pro Green, KURTAIL GOLD .

It really does kill it. After about 2-3 days it starts to turn black. Brilliant stuff.

It is expensive, but worth every penny to get rid of the darn stuff.