What is a Pippy Show ?

Can anybody tell me the where the saying "It'll be a right pippy show" originaly came from please, or is it just a Sheffield saying

never heard of it. although Pippys was a legendary Sheffield rock shirt and leather jacket retailer which was in the centre for many years. I think they had a shop in Liverpool too.

Yes its a very old phrase, my parents and grandparents used it years ago. If I ever say it, my family laugh because they think I have made it up. They will believe me now!

My family used it, and I still do, to mean an event which is a mess/not up to scratch/a disappointment/ridiculous or pretentious. It's a pity these old local phrases are falling out of use, they add such interest and humour to conversation.

I used the word "tranklements" the other day and my companion had never heard of it - bits and pieces (in my case, all the stuff in my handbag). Rammel (rubbish/trash) is another word which used to be often heard but is rare now.

Made me laugh when I saw this as I remember my mother saying it.

Trankelments is another good one.

My mum used to say it and I love it!

I say it to my grandkids sometimes (jokingly), it means a farce, mess, poor performance etc.

Yes my late mum used to say it when things got out of hand or some one left the house untidy it's like a pippy show she would say! I often wondered what it means but I never asked her.

Edited by allwednesday

This made me smile, my nanan used to say it and in fact I carry on the tradition!

My mum always describes scenes of chaos and disorder as a 'Pippy Show', as in 'that shop's not going to last 2 months, I went in today, no milk, no change in the till, it were a right pippy show'. The thing is that she doesn't know who 'Pippy' was/is, or what her show was like. Can anyone help out?

Our old boy used to say "Pippy Show" all the time to describe a **** up or complete waste of time,another favourite to mean the same thing "It will be like Fred Karnos!",I think that's the right spelling of the name!.

..something really special was known as 'tozzin'!!!!!