The Chinese Buffets in Sheffield thread- all discussion in here please

.... on a Sunday night? Both (Jumbo and No1 Oriental) have a reduced price on a Sunday evening, I presume this means the menu is not as good. Anyone been to both who could advise which one to choose?

Definitely Jumbo...been to both a few times and Jumbo has the best selection, they change the food regularly so you never get stuff thats been sitting uder the heat lamps for too long!

Definitely Jumbo - went to No. 1 on a Sunday once and it was rubbish. As you say, the food wasn't as good or varied as normal and the staff were very rude - they made it very clear they wanted us to eat up so they could go home. This was at 9pm, they're supposed to be open til 10.30!

I'll swim against the tide here and plump for No. 1. It may not be as good decor-wise but there's a wider choice of food, which is of a higher standard IMO.

.... on a Sunday night? Both (Jumbo and No1 Oriental) have a reduced price on a Sunday evening, I presume this means the menu is not as good. Anyone been to both who could advise which one to choose?

I always presumed that they lower the price slightly at less busy times to attract more customers. I've eaten there on a Saturday & at quieter times when it's slightly cheaper & didn't notice any difference in the standard of the food.

No.1 is ok but not so good if you are a veggie & it's a bit like eating in a school dining hall.

Originally posted by Siân

I always presumed that they lower the price slightly at less busy times to attract more customers. I've eaten there on a Saturday & at quieter times when it's slightly cheaper & didn't notice any difference in the standard of the food.

I used to go to No.1 a lot, the food definitely changes when it's different prices. And on Sunday its definitely below par - spaghetti hoops and sausage rolls are not good chinese food!

Originally posted by Fantomas

I used to go to No.1 a lot, the food definitely changes when it's different prices. And on Sunday its definitely below par - spaghetti hoops and sausage rolls are not good chinese food!

Sure you hadn't wandered into a childrens birthday party by mistake? Was there jelly and ice cream for pud?

Thanks everyone - I've booked for Jumbo, so I'll let you know what it was like. I phoned No 1 and asked what the difference in menu choices was on a Sunday night and was told "no crispy duck, sausage rolls instead..."

Originally posted by clogginchris

Thanks everyone - I've booked for Jumbo, so I'll let you know what it was like. I phoned No 1 and asked what the difference in menu choices was on a Sunday night and was told "no crispy duck, sausage rolls instead..."

I wasn't kidding! And yes, Andy C, there was jelly and ice cream for pud!

never been to no1, but can vouch for jumbo being great

as for different prices, they have a buffet during the day, and at night it is a grand buffet, more choice

Jumbo was very good - not a sausage roll in sight!Followed by an absolutely sublime concert by Kate Rusby at the Lyceum. Great night all round.

where abouts is jumbo?