What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

Guest makapaka
It's weird as a non-Sheffield native to see the bickering about SCC. The simple fact of the matter is that cities get the councils they deserve. Sheffield people will vote Labour forever, irrespective of their genuine political views, and while that unquestioning loyalty remains and people vote the way they always do because their ma and pa voted that way too, there is no chance at all of Sheffield developing in the way more forward thinking cities have.

Which forward thinking cities are you referring to?

It's weird as a non-Sheffield native to see the bickering about SCC. The simple fact of the matter is that cities get the councils they deserve. Sheffield people will vote Labour forever, irrespective of their genuine political views, and while that unquestioning loyalty remains and people vote the way they always do because their ma and pa voted that way too, there is no chance at all of Sheffield developing in the way more forward thinking cities have.

Yep - which is also the reason the council feel they are absolutely unaccountable to anyone. Which, in a way, they are. They could do anything they want and people will still vote Labour. The council are dragging the city back into the dark ages, with "austerity" being the only excuse they ever offer....as if austerity is unique to Sheffield, and justifies the empty retail units, the pathetic planning decisions, the arrogance of their Councillors and the ongoing Amey debacle. It's absolutely pathetic- but you're quite right in saying it will never change. The longer someone is in power, unchallenged, the more arrogant and useless they become. History tells us this.

My favourite overheard quote on the way to the council election booth?

"I'm voting Labour because I'm absolutely disgusted by the behavior of the council in this city...."

Guest makapaka
The Great Recession :hihi::hihi:

What’s funny about that?

Guest makapaka
Nobody calls it that.

They do - but anyway call it what you want it happened.

I don't the problem is the party, if it were then surely Labour dominant councils like in Liverpool and Manchester would be equally behind the times.

Sheffield is often called a "village", perhaps its more a village mentality that's the problem.

They do - but anyway call it what you want it happened.

You're correct

Great Recession

The Great Recession was a period of general economic decline observed in world markets during the late 2000s and early 2010s. The scale and timing of the recession varied from country to country. Wikipedia

Start date: December 2007

Never heard it called that myself though.

Guest makapaka
I don't the problem is the party, if it were then surely Labour dominant councils like in Liverpool and Manchester would be equally behind the times.

Sheffield is often called a "village", perhaps its more a village mentality that's the problem.

And Leeds which has been predominantly labour led for nigh on 40 years.

This is why no one ever backs up the statement that we are behind other northern cities (or often referred to as “more forward thinking cities” etc) because we have a labour council.

Perhaps it's because we have OUR council. Rather than it being systemic to Labour, it's systemic to labour in Sheffield.

Perhaps it's because we have OUR council. Rather than it being systemic to Labour, it's systemic to labour in Sheffield.

I agree. On a national level I would vote Labour....on a local council level I would vote anything but Labour, based on the bunch we have now.

I wish more people could see that distinction and that getting rid of a group of people who seem to have come to believe they are beyond all accountability would be a positive thing.

Guest makapaka
I agree. On a national level I would vote Labour....on a local council level I would vote anything but Labour, based on the bunch we have now.

I wish more people could see that distinction and that getting rid of a group of people who seem to have come to believe they are beyond all accountability would be a positive thing.

That’s fine if it’s your opinion - but unless people are saying that every labour council sheffield have ever had wasn’t up to scratch it doesn’t seem right to blame development of the city centre on labour does it?

Someone was blaming “the council” for sevenstone - that was largely under Lib Dem’s watch and anyway wasn’t really their fault either.

Well, every labour council in living memory at least.

Amazing that you would try to blame the LD

This concept was developed and in 2000 the New Retail Quarter site was identified by a City Centre Masterplan, commissioned by Sheffield 1, the City's urban regeneration company. In 2001, Hammerson was selected as preferred developer through conducted jointly by Sheffield 1 and the Council. [4]

Hammerson submitted an Outline Planning Application in October 2005, seeking permission for a mixed use development consisting of refurbishment of use of existing buildings and erection of buildings for retail, housing, a night club, a health and fitness club, and multi-storey car parking. Amended planning applications were submitted in May and July 2006.

Enabling works (that is, providing the gas, water, electrical and telephone infrastructure) began in March 2006 on the roads surrounding the new site, including Division Street, Moore Street, Charter Row and others.[5]

The Outline Planning Application was approved by the Council in August 2006. The Secretary of State confirmed by letters dated 25 September 2006 and 9 October 2006 that he did not wish to intervene, and that the decision as to whether to grant outline planning permission and the associated listed building consents would therefore remain with the Council. The Section 106 Agreement was completed in November 2006 and outline planning permission and associated listed building consents were issued that month.[6]

In October 2007, developers Hammerson unveiled the official marketing name for the New Retail Quarter as Sevenstone.[7] The branding was welcomed by business and political leaders in Sheffield.[8]

In March 2008, a three-day public exhibition displayed the plans for Sevenstone in Sheffield City Centre. Local press described the reactions of Sheffield citizens to the plans as 'mixed'.[9]

Collapse of original scheme

On 29 January 2009, the Sheffield Star reported that the project had been put on hold indefinitely,

Labour were in power for the vast majority of that period.