Cliff Richards house raided - investigation now dropped

If the BBC appeal, will it be the licence fee payers who will foot the bill for that as well?

I wonder:

where a corporate body (company etc.) is found deficient due to an identified individual's actions/omissions, it's sometimes possible to make him/her liable too or even instead.

There has been a handful of instances where councillors have been held personally liable but where public money is involved it's been more common to see failures taking early retirement on health grounds with pensions intact, a particular favourite with the police force.

Edited by Jim Hardie
Grammar

I would think, knowing Cliff Richard, a lot, if not all of it will find its way to charity.

Do you know Cliff Richard ?:o

Do you know Cliff Richard ?:o

Sorry, no, just a (clumsy) figure of speech. I was referring to his well known religious beliefs and his charity work.

I watched Mr Richards interview on ITV and everything he said was correct despite his interviewer trying to say that the BBC were not really wrong, he looked to me like what he now is an ageing singer.

I watched Mr Richards interview on ITV and everything he said was correct despite his interviewer trying to say that the BBC were not really wrong, he looked to me like what he now is an ageing singer.

I am not a fan of his but this man has been through hell, then the BBC has the cheek to say they may appeal !

The BBC didn't seem very sorry on the news this morning, they were more concerned that it would "affect press freedom".

The BBC didn't seem very sorry on the news this morning, they were more concerned that it would "affect press freedom".

This was a very specific case / alleged offence, for which the police were fishing for corroborating evidence, which has happened a lot in similar cases.

That doesn't mean I don't have a great deal of sympathy for Cliff Richard, who looks terrible with the strain of it all.

Edited by Anna B

That doesn't mean I don't have a great deal of sympathy for Cliff Richard, who looks terrible with the strain of it all.

Dude's not far off 80, you can only stay looking youthful for so long.

---------- Post added 19-07-2018 at 10:43 ----------

In both cases the compo will ultimately come from the public purse.

Cost US close to .....!

Just add it to the list of stuff for SYP's incompetence.

The Duckenfield (and co) trial is coming up, still waiting to hear if that slimy git Bettison will have to face the music as well.

I am not a fan of his but this man has been through hell, then the BBC has the cheek to say they may appeal !

Time to disband this bunch of BBC bandits.

Time to disband this bunch of BBC bandits.

Yet they still argue for Press freedom !

Yet they still argue for Press freedom !

What the BBC did was come down to the level of the Daily Mail, publishing information because of information gained illegally. The Police had to pay out compensation too.