Council tree felling...

I can confirm that residents of Meadow Bank Avenue do, in fact, pay for the pollarding of those trees, and every other aspect of upkeep of the facilities and amenities in MBA and the adjoining Edge Bank. The residents have formed a limited company, appointed directors and each household pays a small annual charge.

The road is not a public highway, I believe, so SCC won't do any works to it or its trees.

Whats the latest on the pause in tree felling ? Are the council /amey in mediation with anyone ?

Whats the latest on the pause in tree felling ? Are the council /amey in mediation with anyone ?

Some time in September, SCC are supposed to be having some "talks about talks" with STAG, mediated by the Bishop of Sheffield. A date hasn't been fixed yet. In the meantime, the pause continues.

Some time in September, SCC are supposed to be having some "talks about talks" with STAG, mediated by the Bishop of Sheffield. A date hasn't been fixed yet. In the meantime, the pause continues.

I thought the "pause" for all these months , were for the talks to take place ? Why has not a date been fixed yet :suspect: ?

I thought the "pause" for all these months , were for the talks to take place ? Why has not a date been fixed yet :suspect: ?

I've given up trying to make sense of anything SCC does with respect to trees. They paused for unknown reasons, although it seems like SYP knew the date of the pause well in advance, so perhaps SYP only agreed to police the protests for fixed period? Then Bryan Lodge resigned and Lewis Dagnell took over, and he's been repeating the mantra "pause will continue, compromise on all sides" ever since. Then about a month ago he formally wrote to STAG suggesting talks.

During the pause, SCC have prosecuted 4 protesters for alleged injunction violations during earlier felling attempts, and applied to the High Court for an 18 month extension to the injunction (which was due to expire on 25th July), along with stricter terms. Since this application will have cost them in the region of £70K, one wonders why they did it if they imminently expect a deal to be reached with STAG.

So who knows? I don't think even SCC know.

I've given up trying to make sense of anything SCC does with respect to trees. They paused for unknown reasons, although it seems like SYP knew the date of the pause well in advance, so perhaps SYP only agreed to police the protests for fixed period? Then Bryan Lodge resigned and Lewis Dagnell took over, and he's been repeating the mantra "pause will continue, compromise on all sides" ever since. Then about a month ago he formally wrote to STAG suggesting talks.

During the pause, SCC have prosecuted 4 protesters for alleged injunction violations during earlier felling attempts, and applied to the High Court for an 18 month extension to the injunction (which was due to expire on 25th July), along with stricter terms. Since this application will have cost them in the region of £70K, one wonders why they did it if they imminently expect a deal to be reached with STAG.

So what have STAG been doing in the month since receiving a formal request to get around the table?

So what have STAG been doing in the month since receiving a formal request to get around the table?

Accepted the offer, have made it clear we're available, and have been waiting since for SCC to pick a date.

NB - there is one tree on my road with a notice on it that it will be felled due to disease. To be fair it does appear to have a fungal infection and the roots don't look healthy, so perhaps this one is genuine.

Of course they already felled about 6 tree's out of perhaps 18 before the "pause" took place.

This might be a daft question, but why are SCC paying for injunctions & to take protesters to court when it's AMEY that are directly affected by the actions of the protesters? Could AMEY not take them to court at their own cost? Why is SCC acting as prosecutor on behalf of a private company?

Accepted the offer, have made it clear we're available, and have been waiting since for SCC to pick a date.

Thanks for clearing that up

This might be a daft question, but why are SCC paying for injunctions & to take protesters to court when it's AMEY that are directly affected by the actions of the protesters? Could AMEY not take them to court at their own cost? Why is SCC acting as prosecutor on behalf of a private company?

Speculating, but perhaps the contract forces them to do so otherwise they incur penalties. Or perhaps they so dislike being defied by the populace that this is their response.